Cuts - Which should go?

For a start lets see the London museums and galleries forced to tour their collections round the country. Not just the stuff from their stores they don't bother to display themselves, the popular stuff that actually draws crowds.

I've been to them all, and they are all great.

I have been to the Bradford museum, I wouldnt pay more than a small ammount to go in.

How much would you pay. Tin pin bowling is around £2-£3 per child.

For a start lets see the London museums and galleries forced to tour their collections round the country. Not just the stuff from their stores they don't bother to display themselves, the popular stuff that actually draws crowds.

If we're not charging for entry then that's just going to cost a load of money in logistics and not raise any revenue, which is the issue. In the case of Bradford and York (not been to the manc one) they are both the national museum for their relevant subject so that London aren't hoarding steamtrains and films and thus causing us problems.

Want to see a really high quality museum? Pay to see it. Not a hard concept for people to get their head round, stuff like the York Dungeon is always rammed at £15 a head so if they charged £8 they'd be offering good value and raise over £6 million a year to keep the place ticking over fine without the need for subsidies.

Want to see a really high quality museum? Pay to see it. Not a hard concept for people to get their head round, stuff like the York Dungeon is always rammed at £15 a head so if they charged £8 they'd be offering good value and raise over £6 million a year to keep the place ticking over fine without the need for subsidies.

The problem is that we as a country get significant benefit from the promotion of science & industry by forcing the Science Museum and it's subsidiaries to have free entry. But on the other hand the Government don't want to have to pay the cost of running those museums.

I don't expect any of them will close, instead I see the free entry requirement being dropped or adapted. They could make a significant amount of income by charging a £2/adult free/child entry rate while still maintaining their visitor numbers. Charging £8/person (so about £24 for a 2+2 family) would decimate the numbers visiting even if it's similar to commercially run venues.

The Bradford Museum of Film and Media, The Manchester Museum of Science and Technology, and the York Railway Museum are under threat of closure.

Because of Government cuts, one has to go.

I've been to them all, and they are all great.

None of them should have to close of couse, but if one has to, which one should it be?

And what could be done to keep them all open?

None of them need to go, the government has shed loads of money, It's just a lie that they are bankrupt. They would just rather spend the money elsewhere.

I wish people would stop with all this "government is bankrupt" rubbish, it isn't. It's just about how the Government prioritises the money it has.

The problem is that we as a country get significant benefit from the promotion of science & industry by forcing the Science Museum and it's subsidiaries to have free entry. But on the other hand the Government don't want to have to pay the cost of running those museums.

I don't expect any of them will close, instead I see the free entry requirement being dropped or adapted. They could make a significant amount of income by charging a £2/adult free/child entry rate while still maintaining their visitor numbers. Charging £8/person (so about £24 for a 2+2 family) would decimate the numbers visiting even if it's similar to commercially run venues.

Why would it decimate numbers? I'm talking the NRM vs the York Dungeon, been to both several times and IMO both offer a very comparable offering to visitors. One charges £15 a head, the other nothing. I don't believe visitor numbers would be decimated if £8 a head was charged. £8 buys the "privilege" of parking in sheffield for a few hours, compare that to access to an excellent collection of our rail heritage very well presented and it's buttons.

The Bradford museum of film and media I'd say out of the three options

No reason really I just think the other two are of more interest

And more value! And I think that Director Ian Blatchford should have his massive salary cut considering that he'll have less to look after; after all, it's difficult listening to someone moaning about a lack of funding when he's just awarded himself a £25,000 pay rise! It stinks!

Its interesting to see that the MSI was a private company, operating quite successfully until 2012 when it was acquired by the Science Museum Group as a gift, valued at £42 million.

Their income for 2012 was £104.4m, in 2011 it was £63.4m.

Operational costs were £69 million.

I'm getting the impression that this is a private company not happy that their grant has been cut and now they're dummy spitting in order to get the public on their side.

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc1213/hc03/0382/0382.pdf

Archived