How to learn re-upholstery

Does anyone know where you can learn to do this? I have found furniture making at Caste college but not re-upholstery.

Best way to learn is to take the original apart and put it back the same way with new materials. I've done antique chairs, sofas and car interiors this way in the past and never had a problem. I really don't think you need to go to college to learn anything ... it's all pretty easy. :)

Best way to learn is to take the original apart and put it back the same way with new materials. I've done antique chairs, sofas and car interiors this way in the past and never had a problem. I really don't think you need to go to college to learn anything ... it's all pretty easy. :)

Ooh thank you Alcoblog :D

Now you set yourself up for it I have more questions :hihi: for instance, bearing mind I'm DIY useless is it feasible for me to do it? and what tools/equipment would I need? and also do you know where I would get the material that I need for it please?

Ooh thank you Alcoblog :D

Now you set yourself up for it I have more questions :hihi: for instance, bearing mind I'm DIY useless is it feasible for me to do it? and what tools/equipment would I need? and also do you know where I would get the material that I need for it please?

I'd say anyone can upholster if they have a modicum of common sense.

I used to be the owner of a bespoke furniture making company many years ago (near Cambridge) and specialized in high quality reproduction oak furniture.

As such most of the chairs I made used leather (Connolly) for the seats. All you need for this (apart from a hide) are simple things like hessian, horsehair, strapping (and tensioner), tacks etc. Obviously stuff like a knife, scissors and hammer come in pretty useful!

Or you can use cane/rush to weave ... all you need is cane/rush! :)

For sofas and soft furnishings you'll need a sewing machine obviously ... it's not as difficult as it looks.

It all depends what you're wanting to upholster.

There's an upholstery shop on London Road ... think it's called Local Trading Co. They should have all the stuff you need ... otherwise try somewhere like this http://www.upholsterywarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Upholsterers_Tool_Kit.html

Places like John Lewis sell decent upholstery fabric, but there must be loads more too ... especially on the interweave. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Please take a look at the following link on our website.

http://theuniqueseatcompany.co.uk/upholstery-courses.cfm

We run 2 day courses in traditional upholstery for beginners in Sheffield. All the information is on the website but if you need to know anything else please feel free to call us.

Kind regards,

The Unique Seat Company

Yeah- I really recommend doing a course at

The unique seat company. It's really enjoyable,

And it's so much easier to understand the instructions

From a book after you've seen someone doing it

In front of you. A good guide I like to look at for reference

is The Upholsterers Handbook. It has good images- but like

I said- it helps to see it done.

Archived