Is this a profession?

Is playing poker a profession?

Had the question posted elsewhere and really need impartial views on whether you this it is yes or no?

Yes it is a profession

No it isn't a profession

This is somewhere else, but the people who posted elsewhere are not rely impartial, so I'm posting it on here and another forum.

Thanks.

I would say not,

Formation of a profession

A profession arises when any trade or occupation transforms itself through "the development of formal qualifications based upon education, apprenticeship, and examinations, the emergence of regulatory bodies with powers to admit and discipline members, and some degree of monopoly rights.

List of professions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professions

I would say not,

Formation of a profession

A profession arises when any trade or occupation transforms itself through "the development of formal qualifications based upon education, apprenticeship, and examinations, the emergence of regulatory bodies with powers to admit and discipline members, and some degree of monopoly rights.

List of professions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professions

No Quantity Surveying on that list?

The RICS is a porfessional body......Good old Wikipedia. :D

Regards

Doom

A profession provides disinterested objective counsel or service for others. Playing poker doesnt seem to really fit that. If you were advising others on how to play poker for money thought that would probably be a profession (called mathematics or psychology depending on just what sort of advice you were getting...)

If it earns a decent enough crust then I don't think it matters what you call it.

Seen some people get into it and loose their shirt, others take a grand or so from an online tournament - nice little earner!

Just to be topical .. if poker is your "job" are the winnings tax free? Do tennis players etc have to pay tax on theirs..?

Archived