What to do in Liverpool for two nights?

We are off for a couple of nights in Liverpool and would like suggestions as to the must see places to go, the best pubs and nice restaurants.

I'm not a big beatles fan and we're too old for clubbing but we like museums, real ale and nice food.

Ta.

We are off for a couple of nights in Liverpool and would like suggestions as to the must see places to go, the best pubs and nice restaurants.

I'm not a big beatles fan and we're too old for clubbing but we like museums, real ale and nice food.

Ta.

Well go to the Cavern anyhow. It's free during the day and has real ale and live music. Maritime Museum also free.

A must see is the Philharmonic pub. Stunning and at least 10 real ales plus good food. Incredible interior. Take the missus into gents toilet. No one will mind.

Follow the Lambanana trail.

Other pubs no to be missed The Craik and the Fly in the Loaf.

Edited by Uptowngirl

Lots to do around Albert Docks.

Beatles Museum is good if you're interested.

Tate Liverpool.

International Slavery museum.

Liverpool 1 for shopping.

I went a lot in my early-20s when a friend's sister studied there, but only recently been for daytrips. Can't help with pubs and restaurants anymore.

Best pubs around the "top" end of town:

Dispensary

Roscoe Head

Philharmonic (bit studenty but great decor)

Ye cracke

Best pubs at the other end of town, all on Dale Street:

Ship & Mitre (widest selection of real ales in the city)

Ye olde Hole in the Wall

Rigby's

Have a look at this incredible real ale map:

http://www.liverpoolcamra.org.uk/attachments/article/94/Pub%20map%202012%20v1.pdf

But you'll find it free in all the good real ale pubs.

Attractions:

Two cathedrals

All the museums, maritime is good

Bombed out church

Docks

Pier Head

Some great old bookshops

Liverpool One and Bold Street for shopping

Port Sunlight over on the Wirral

Birkenhead Priory and tower on the Wirral (outstanding views of the Liverpool waterfront)

New Brighton seaside town and the promenade (again, outstanding views of Liverpool)

Get a day-saver rail ticket. Its about £4 but will allow you to travel on the entire Merseyrail network up to Southport and down as far as Chester. Some nice beaches at Brighton Le Sands, and on the North and West coast of Wirral.

And of course the obligatory trip on the Mersey, at weekends it goes quite far upstream to see the activity in Cammel Laird's, and downstream to the mouth of the estuary.

Edited by alchresearch

Well go to the Cavern anyhow. It's free during the day and has real ale and live music. Maritime Museum also free.

A must see is the Philharmonic pub. Stunning and at least 10 real ales plus good food. Incredible interior. Take the missus into gents toilet. No one will mind.

Follow the Lambanana trail.

Other pubs no to be missed The Craik and the Fly in the Loaf.

Another vote for the Philharmonic pub and the toilets:D

The Philharmonic Hall is lovely too if there is something on that you fancy (Elvis Costello is sold out I'm afraid).

The Museum of Liverpool is well worth a visit as is the whole docks area.

It is a lovely city. You won't be short of things to do.

Edited by SpikeMac

Brilliant. Thanks everyone for the replies.

The Philamonic and The Fly in the Loaf remind me of some of our favourite Edinburgh pubs and the Dispensary is a stones throw from the hotel.

Will definitely be taking in the museums and dockland and the Lambanana is a new one on me, looks terrific.

I haven't been to Liverpool for years. As a Manc it was at the end of the East Lancs Road but we only went there to catch the ferry to the Isle of Man, we wouldn't have dreamed of stopping there. I went back about 25 years ago but only for the day and I can recall is a quayside area.

I'm really looking forward to discovering it!

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 10:26 ----------

Wonderful, looks like we'll have to take more than one trip out there.

Real ale drinking is a very expensive habit now I've got so much choice. Thank God they do beer bats of thirds of a pint, its the only way to get through all the great beers on offer!

There's also the WW2 German submarine exhibition over at Woodside Ferry Terminal on the Wirral. I preferred it when it was complete and not cut into thirds, but its still a popular attraction.

New Brighton is sort of OK, kind of a bit like Cleethorpes, but I took some friends on Sunday and they were amazed to see starfish in the rock pools.