What to do in Liverpool for two nights?

Yep, it really is. Granted there are some real holes on the outskirts - Gateacre, Norris Green, Bootle, and so on, which usually marr the city.

But if you were encouraging people to come to Sheffield, would you suggest they approach via the Manor and Wybourn?

Strix, the rockpools full of starfish were at the breakers at New Brighton by Perch Rock Fort

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=New+Brighton,+Merseyside&hl=en&ll=53.442796,-3.038366&spn=0.001241,0.003484&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=10.320673,28.54248&oq=new+brighton,+mer&t=h&hnear=New+Brighton,+Merseyside,+United+Kingdom&z=19

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 11:06 ----------

And if you're in the car, you could always visit Elswick Street, where they filmed the "comedy" Bread:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=liverpool&hl=en&ll=53.378663,-2.965617&spn=0.003516,0.006968&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=10.320673,28.54248&t=h&hnear=Liverpool,+Merseyside,+United+Kingdom&z=18

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 11:08 ----------

Can't believe I didn't mention the high stuff:

Radio City Tower Viewing Gallery Experience

http://www.visitliverpool.com/things-to-do/attractions/search/radio-city-tower-viewing-gallery-experience-p7513

Photos taken from there when the sea fog rolls in

Liverpool Cathedral Tower

http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/about/the-tower.aspx

Great beaches, too, a few miles North at Formby & Freshfield if that's your bag, Taxman.

Alc, has New Brighton been redeveloped, then? Last time I was there (a long time ago) all there was left of the magical place of my childhood was a huge amusement arcade with a go-cart track in it.

Well go to the Cavern anyhow. It's free during the day and has real ale and live music. Maritime Museum also free.

A must see is the Philharmonic pub. Stunning and at least 10 real ales plus good food. Incredible interior. Take the missus into gents toilet. No one will mind.

Follow the Lambanana trail.

Other pubs no to be missed The Craik and the Fly in the Loaf.

I'm intrigued!:confused:

Great beaches, too, a few miles North at Formby & Freshfield if that's your bag, Taxman.

Alc, has New Brighton been redeveloped, then? Last time I was there (a long time ago) all there was left of the magical place of my childhood was a huge amusement arcade with a go-cart track in it.

It has indeed. Nothing like the Victorian era when it was bigger than Blackpool, but have a look at google streetview

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 11:36 ----------

Thanks Alch :)

We'll have a look when we visit Aunty Jan. Her flat overlooks New Brighton

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 11:38 ----------

Taxman - you can catch the train to Formby to see the red squirrels, and the nature deserve at Freshfield

It has indeed. Nothing like the Victorian era when it was bigger than Blackpool, but have a look at google streetview

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 11:36 ----------

Thanks Alch :)

We'll have a look when we visit Aunty Jan. Her flat overlooks New Brighton

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 11:38 ----------

Taxman - you can catch the train to Formby to see the red squirrels, and the nature deserve at Freshfield

The red squirrels are in the nature reserve at Freshfield aren't they?

(Not suggesting that they're unable to venture out, of course!)

The Baltic Fleet pub on a street called Wapping (part of the Pier Head road) is good for real ales and handy if you're visiting the Pier Head and the new Liverpool Museum. But I agree the Philharmonic is not to be missed.

Food-wise Liverpool has one of the oldest Chinese communities in Britain. Plenty of good restaurants in Chinatown near the top of Bold Street. The Yuet Ben used to be my favourite, though I haven't been there for years.

There is so much to see and do in Liverpool, a lot of it free. A trip to Chinatown for a fab meal, is a must too. Also a ride on the famous 'DUK' amphibious vehicle it goes into the Mersey and out again, then round the streets. great fun and the typical Scouse rumour from the poeple who do the trips. Remember though you have to book that, the booking office is down by the Dock. I know you will love it!! Fabulous city.