What to do in Liverpool for two nights?

It seems I may have been better off booking a week!

Never mind, we tend to visit Whitby, Edinburgh and York every year so we may just have to add Liverpool to the annual itinery. Especially as it's on a direct train route and the train tickets are excellent value - I'm looking at £28 return for two people.

Just been reading this thread and always thought that Liverpool was a dump (hearsay & such) and just full of vagabonds and scallys. Is it really such a nice place to visit for a long weekend and safe, as just mentioned it to wife, as we are looking for somewhere a bit different to York.

The centre suprisingly is grandiose because it used to be a very wealthy city and important trade centre, but outside of that there are some very rough areas compared to Sheffield. That said, it is generally speaking a very friendly and good humoured city with more than its fair share of 'characters'.

The Spaceport

http://www.spaceport.org.uk/

They have a new exhibit:

Spaceport’s brand new Time Travellers exhibition is a must for fans of Dr Who! ‘Time Travellers’ boasts an intergalactic host of amazing exhibits including a replica TARDIS, Cybermen, a Sontaran, K9 and ever-terrifying life size Daleks, along with a new monster making station! With replica Dr Who costume characters ranging from the 1970’s to the present day, there will be something to thrill every generation of Time Lord.

They have a genuine U-Boat display in Liverpool as well.

http://www.u-boatstory.co.uk/

We are off for a couple of nights in Liverpool and would like suggestions as to the must see places to go, the best pubs and nice restaurants.

I'm not a big beatles fan and we're too old for clubbing but we like museums, real ale and nice food.

Ta.

Go on the open top bus, and hear the commentary, that's what we did, unfortunately I only spent a few hours there. Liverpool has great shops! and the time just flew by.

Definitely will be returning to see more, Enjoy your visit.

Its over the water in Birkenhead on the Wirral, not Liverpool.

Could you get there by ferry?

I was supposed to go to Liverpool last year but was ill. Some friends have visited the sub on a day trip although they found a day wasn't really enough to see everything.

..................great, I am going with a friend in shortly for the two night stay! Can't wait, one poster said you need a week....very true. I was able to see my old family home after 50 years two years ago, my how the area (Great Crosby) had changed, it was quite emotional!!!!