What to do in Liverpool for two nights?

We are off for a couple of nights in Liverpool and would like suggestions as to the must see places to go, the best pubs and nice restaurants.

I'm not a big beatles fan and we're too old for clubbing but we like museums, real ale and nice food.

Ta.

Buy a shellsuit and a curly wig and have a couple of days blending in with the locals. :)

• 8 months later...

Going for another couple of nights this week. Really enjoyed it last time and although I am a devout atheist I reckon a visit to both Cathedrals is a must. Initially I preferred the Pope's Wigwam but after going round the Protestant one the sheer scale and vastness of it won me over.

We saw it and took a few photos whilst visiting the Museum of Liverpool (which was great). Also visited and was blown away by both cathedrals. Took in a few more pubs and the World Museum and spotted a few lambananas. Having a sadly last pint in the Fly in the Loaf before heading home.

Great place and tonnes to do....way more than can be done in two nights. Still other museums and galleries to do, plus today we found out there are some free underground dungeons to visit.

Highly recommend a visit.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'll second that - son lives in Liverpool - love visiting him! It's a great city even if you can't understand the accent!

Nearby are the Anthony Gormley statues on Crosby beach and red squirrels at Formby - very tame.

Going for another couple of nights this week. Really enjoyed it last time and although I am a devout atheist I reckon a visit to both Cathedrals is a must. Initially I preferred the Pope's Wigwam but after going round the Protestant one the sheer scale and vastness of it won me over.

How can one be a devout athiest?

Walk around the docks. Go to the liverbird and walk around its vacinity. You will see some beautiful architecture, buildings built during Liverpools boom years, before those filthy Mancs built their canal. The Beatles museum is worth a look. If you are in to football go to anfield and mock them for having never won the premier league. Even Blackburn have won more Premier league titles than them.

You could easily spend an entire day at the Lady Lever in Port Sunlight, and another at the Walker Gallery … not to mention the Tate and several others. All of which knock Sheffield's Graves Art Gallery (situated on one small floor above the Central Library) into a cocked hat.

I could spend a week in Liverpool and area and still not see everything!! The Beatles museum, Speke Hall, Anfield(?!) to go round the trophy room etc or Everton (nah!) a trip on the ferry to Seacombe, get off/next ferry back, New Brighton/Southpoprt. It's Paddys Wigwam, but although I am CofE I always go into both Cathedrals as they are so very diverse. Liverpool 1 to shop (fab M&S) just a few suggestions. DON't stay at the Adlephi, it's the pits. Well past it's Ewardain splendour. Best place I have stay was the Marriott just opposite Lime Street staion...............enjoy!

Holiday Inn across from Lime Street is terrible, avoid at all costs. I've been there for a training course all last week and the place stunk of sewers every morning.

Some nice pics of the place at night here:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/35-stunning-pictures-liverpool-night-10325392

Edited by alchresearch

Holiday Inn across from Lime Street is terrible, avoid at all costs. I've been there for a training course all last week and the place stunk of sewers every morning.

Some nice pics of the place at night here:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/35-stunning-pictures-liverpool-night-10325392

The Liner Hotel is pretty good, next to the station itself. A few minutes stroll away from places like The Walker Gallery. For what is (I think), a three star, the food we had there was surprisingly good ... the room, although possibly needing a bit of attention paint wise, was fine too. Certainly no complaints as to the cost. :)