Should we chase answers to questions?

Do you really want me to repost the numerous questions I have asked you

I wouldnt create another thread in order to re-ask questions. People will see was is put and make their own mind up.

(snipped...)

I'm seriously considering just leaving S/F (apart from to post on topics where I can be of assistance rather than debating on here) because I really can't see any reason in being on a discussion forum if people don't want to discuss.

I've already stopped posting on certain topics because of it, and I'm really not sure what to do - I enjoy it here when a debate gets going but think I'm wasting my time (of which I have little anyway) when this difficulty presents itself. (...snipped)

... You are not alone... :(

I've already stopped posting on certain topics because of it, and I'm really not sure what to do - I enjoy it here when a debate gets going but think I'm wasting my time (of which I have little anyway) when this difficulty presents itself. What should I do?

Almost 2000 posts in a year - you've way too much time on your hands :P

This is SF. It's a loathsome place filled with loathsome opinions. It used to be so much fun, but over the past years it's seen a serious decline (I only post on the business forum now - I only posted here because your post was interesting).

But, why do you care? Of all the people on here, not being moved by the opinions (or lack thereof), you should be the one least moved by the opinions of others. Mindfullness and all that!

I'm often accused on here (and I admit, not wrongly) of constantly chasing people for answers to questions I've asked.

Now I see this as perfectly justifiable, if someone has made a claim and you ask them either a direct question or make a comment that requires further clarification about that claim then in my mind it is only polite to answer to the best of your ability.

What we seem to get instead, time and time again is posters who either ignore the question completely, dance around it without not actually giving an answer or by way of misdirection ask their own questions in response.

For my own part I always try to answer any question asked of me or if I don't know the answer either hazzard a guess (stating it is a guess and that I don't actually know) or simply say 'I don't know'.

So here is my question (not another one I here some of you cry!)

Is it wrong on a discussion forum when someone makes a claim and it is challenged to expect them to answer the question without deliberately sidestepping it? and if it's not wrong how far should one go in pursuing an answer from the person?

And there lies your problem, when people answer to the best of their ability you occasionally accuse them of dodging the question or not answering the question, at which point answering any further questions becomes pointless.

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 20:14 ----------

I wouldnt create another thread in order to re-ask questions. People will see was is put and make their own mind up.

Or ask the question on a completely unrelated topic just because the person they asked happens to be posting on that topic.

Cyberstalking or should it be forum stalking. :)

What absolute proof would satisfy a persons desire for an answer. Many questions don't have a definitive answer do they because the subject doesn't allow for one or, they have two, yours and theirs. I don't believe it's always as simple as you ask they answer, not always.

I don't know about others but I'm not after absolute proof of anything. Just specific answers to specific questions which will allow the debate to reach a subtle level. Too many debates on here stick to black/white us/them.

Sometimes people ignore your questions or your posts altogether, that's just life on the internet. If someone doesn't want to respond to you they don't have to.

I have noticed you doing this, I do it myself sometimes too. And sometimes it comes across as little patronising, as if the thread and the discussion were yours to control, as if were your own personal question and answer session with whoever you happen to be arguing with at the time.

It's frustrating when people ignore your substantive points or questions and instead choose to only respond to other weaker versions of your argument put forward by other posters but who are we to demand they listen to us?

I don't know about others but I'm not after absolute proof of anything. Just specific answers to specific questions which will allow the debate to reach a subtle level. Too many debates on here stick to black/white us/them.

So you are looking to be proved right, or just the meaning of life itself :)

Archived