Indecent photograph

Hi

How far should we persecute people that do wrong?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22820558

Bettley was cautioned for the offence of possessing an indecent photograph (COPINE scale 1) or pseudo-photograph of a child and placed on the sex offenders register for two years after his computer was seized by police in 2010.

Bettley had been employed as an RE teacher at St Mary's Catholic School in Menston, West Yorkshire, until he was dismissed in December 2011.

I heard, that he only viewed 4 immages, and those immages were low level.

The media seem quite quiet about what "low level" / "lowest level" actually means.

1. Indicative

Non-erotic and non-sexualised pictures showing children in their underwear, swimming costumes from either commercial sources or family albums. Pictures of children playing in normal settings, in which the context or organisation of pictures by the collector indicates inappropriateness.

2. Nudist

Pictures of naked or semi-naked children in appropriate nudist settings, and from legitimate sources.

The other 8 levels can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COPINE_scale

I included level 2, because I can think of several examples that normal law-abiding people may own which could be seen as infringing at that level - e.g. photos of tribes in Africa featured in a book about the country.

I think the government could be heading into dodgy territory by banning people from working in certain jobs for cautions for that level of material. If the authorities thought they had a decent case against this guy, why didn't they prosecute. It brings back memories of Operation Ore where many people, unfairly/incorrectly accused, accepted cautions to drop the action and let them get on with their lives.

Archived