Can I legally trade my car in for another one?

If he's abandoned the car, then she is de facto owner.

We only have the op's word for that.He may just as easily done them a favour by giving them the use of it.From what ive read he certainly hasnt given permission to sell and pocket the proceeds.Thats theft!

We only have the op's word for that.He may just as easily done them a favour by giving them the use of it.From what ive read he certainly hasnt given permission to sell and pocket the proceeds.Thats theft!

Prove he's the owner. His name is only as a recorded keeper,it doesn't prove ownership.

The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner.

If the car is legally yours, and that is of course something you understand to be the case then all you do is apply to DVLA for a transfer of the Keeper. They will write to the last keeper, and if there is no response withing something like 14 or so days they will issue a new V5. The usual reason for this happening is if someone sells a car and has lost the V5 - the new owner just applies for a new V5, the old owner is notified and if not contested then it's issued.

You mentioned 6 month ago.If you can prove that i don,t see a problem but will have to inform DVLA.

We resprayed a car many years ago for a doctor turns out he vanished abroad and was not seen again by us we legally resold the car notified DVLA first but that was trade.

Only other thing i can relate this too is i had a motorcyle in for repairs owner never showed was told at the time had to wait 6 months by police before i could do anything with it finished up scraping it.

Don't have one

Why not, have you concreted over it :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 14:52 ----------

And if he turns up in a couple of weeks and asks for his car?

Good luck with that in a small claims court ;)

We only have the op's word for that.He may just as easily done them a favour by giving them the use of it.From what ive read he certainly hasnt given permission to sell and pocket the proceeds. Thats theft!

Well that is the dilemma - He doesn't legally work, his parents hide him and lie to the authorities (He and his family are not the most honest and law abiding people I know), hence I am worried re them accusing me of theft, I don't want to do anything illegal. The only trace there is of my daughters absent father/ my six month missing partner, is Sheffield Forum - yes he comes on here all the time, so I know he is alive and that is it. If only he would reply to this post and give me the go ahead. :rant:

Archived