Can I legally trade my car in for another one?

Well that is the dilemma - He doesn't legally work, his parents hide him and lie to the authorities (He and his family are not the most honest and law abiding people I know), hence I am worried re them accusing me of theft, I don't want to do anything illegal. The only trace there is of my daughters absent father/ my six month missing partner, is Sheffield Forum - yes he comes on here all the time, so I know he is alive and that is it. If only he would reply to this post and give me the go ahead. :rant:

Take the car round to his parents house and have rid of it.

Of course you can anyone can sell a car if they have all the documents the problem

May be finding someone to take it , most dealers will if it means a deal and it's unlikely to be stolen if you have all the docs

The only way you would have all the docs is if you applied for a new log book in your name and then opened mail addressed to the real owner and faked the reply to say he had sold you the car. The criminality here just keeps adding up.

There is of course a perfectly legal way of disposing of the car. Katie Kay needs to write to her partner stating that the car is on her land and that storage is being charged whilst it remains there. She can also write saying that if the vehicle isn't removed within a certain period of time it will be disposed of and the proceeds used to pay the storage costs. She can then approach small claims for their blessing on the whole matter.

The only way you would have all the docs is if you applied for a new log book in your name and then opened mail addressed to the real owner and faked the reply to say he had sold you the car. The criminality here just keeps adding up.

There is of course a perfectly legal way of disposing of the car. Katie Kay needs to write to her partner stating that the car is on her land and that storage is being charged whilst it remains there. She can also write saying that if the vehicle isn't removed within a certain period of time it will be disposed of and the proceeds used to pay the storage costs. She can then approach small claims for their blessing on the whole matter.

Incorrect most car dealers or private dealers never have cars in their own name

Incorrect most car dealers or private dealers never have cars in their own name

And would be prosecuted if they were selling a car without the permission of the registered keeper. A used car dealer should have a receipt available to show the car is his to sell and a log book signed by the last registered keeper saying it had been sold..

And would be prosecuted if they were selling a car without the permission of the registered keeper. A used car dealer should have a receipt available to show the car is his to sell and a log book signed by the last registered keeper saying it had been sold..

you havent sold many cars have you:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The registered keeper has no special veto over the sale of a car if done by the legal owner. RK does not equate to owner.

You don't have to reply saying that you own the car. the V5 doesn't have any bearing on the legal ownership.

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 19:11 ----------

Nothing would give me more joy but he doesn't contribute anything and I am just about broke, so need it really.

Who purchased the car? If he paid the money for it then it is of course his. If he's abandoned the vehicle on your land then you are responsible for getting it removed and can bill him the reasonable costs of doing so. If its on the highway then it's the responsibility of the council to shift it and no responsibility of yours at all.

If you paid anything towards it at all then it does become your responsibility.

The registered keeper has no special veto over the sale of a car if done by the legal owner. RK does not equate to owner.

But the OP has admitted she isn't the legal owner so your point is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 20:34 ----------

you havent sold many cars have you:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My great grandfather was a motor dealer. My grandfather was a motor dealer and my father was a motor dealer. They operated several new car franchises across 3 sites. I worked for the company for several years. I suspect that I've owned and sold rather more cars than you have.

But the OP has admitted she isn't the legal owner so your point is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 20:34 ----------

My great grandfather was a motor dealer. My grandfather was a motor dealer and my father was a motor dealer. They operated several new car franchises across 3 sites. I worked for the company for several years. I suspect that I've owned and sold rather more cars than you have.

whatever...of course you have dear:hihi:

Archived