Getting rid of bees

i have been clearing an old grass cutting mound in the garden and have found a bees nest under it. does anybody know if the council offer a reduced service to council tenants to remove them? it is next to my garden path so i don't know if they are under the path also :-(

If they're bees then they're protected and you can't kill them - depending on the type of bee it's illegal.

What type of bees are they? If they're bumblebees - do nothing. If they're honey bees (unlikely) then let me know. I know somebody who'll come remove them for you. Have you got a photo of the nest/bees?

guess we would be paying full then :-( anyone know the best method to kill them? as they are right next to my little girls swing and our garden is just not big enough to avoid

Why kill them? bees are on the decline and without them there would be no flowers, fruit ect. Bees dont sting willy-nilly unlike wasps, I know it may sound daft but just try to make your little girl aware of them as would hate for her to be stung.

If they're bees then they're protected and you can't kill them - depending on the type of bee it's illegal.

Simply not true.

However, I would wholly endorse trying to get them moved rather than destroyed.

Bees have had a rough time this year and we'll see problems with pollination next year.

Simply not true.

Bees have had a rough time this year and we'll see problems with pollination next year.

Actually, certain bee species are protected and it's illegal to destroy them. It depends on the type of bee.

Simply not true.

i agree the bees have a had a bad time the place where i work one morning we came into work and the floor in the warehouse was covered in dead bees. dont know where they came from or why they died. if the bee population becomes extinct then man wont be far behind them.

Actually, certain bee species are protected and it's illegal to destroy them. It depends on the type of bee.

No. You are wrong.

It is not illegal to kill bees under UK Law.

Just check your claims before you come back on this one. :)

There are regulations that require authorities to look at biodiversity conservation when assessing planning and development ... and bees are mentioned at a valuable contribution to our environment and to be preserved where possible.

Specific Habitat Conservation can then be brought into local legislation, but there is no law stopping the killing of bees.

Please do not misinterpret this as implying that I am, in any way, in favour of destroying bees nests when alternatives are available.

More bees = Good!

If the nest has to be destroyed, choice of method should avoid using pesticides that can kill anything other than the targeted nest.

they are not bumble bees and i wouldn't kill those as i do know they are in decline they have already repaired the damage i caused with the rake i have took a pic not great but they look like honey bees. I dont know how to put a link up for anyone to double check

Archived