Attention All DJ's

Hello, having just started a DJ course at Red Tape Studios I am really interested in buying some gear to start doing stuff at home.

Their set up comprises of the following...

Decks: Pioneer CDJ-850

Turntable: Technics 1210

Mixer: Behringer PRO MIXER VMX200USB

Now having been in to Music Junkie in town, they have recommended Numark as a good budget brand.

I have seen these that take my fancy and was thinking of getting 2 of these with the same mixer above, what do you guys think...

http://www.numark.com/product/ndx400

All I want is 2 CDJ's with 1 mixer in between and 2 active speakers for a cost effective way to start up.

If you're just wanting it to learn / practice on, I'd recommend starting out with one of the USB interfaces you can use with DJing software. They work near enough the same as the CDJs but at a fraction of the cost.

Actually mixing with CDs is becoming rarer and rarer anyway. Vinyl's probably catching up on it now. Everyone else is using laptops, even if they do use CDJ2000s in link mode to drive the laptop. Who wants to drag a case full of 500 CDs around when you can fit thousands on a laptop, with the added bonus they don't get scratched / covered in booze.

If you're just wanting it to learn / practice on, I'd recommend starting out with one of the USB interfaces you can use with DJing software. They work near enough the same as the CDJs but at a fraction of the cost.

Actually mixing with CDs is becoming rarer and rarer anyway. Vinyl's probably catching up on it now. Everyone else is using laptops, even if they do use CDJ2000s in link mode to drive the laptop. Who wants to drag a case full of 500 CDs around when you can fit thousands on a laptop, with the added bonus they don't get scratched / covered in booze.

Because I want to learn the proper way and learn to mix well, using a computer feels like cheating.

Second hand Pioneers are still over my budget, would rather buy new as well.

Well, that is your choice. I started with Numarks and kicked myself to death when I wanted to upgrade after a week.

Some things are worth saving for, especially if you want to earn a crust from it.

A tradesman is only as good as his tools, or so they say.

Because I want to learn the proper way and learn to mix well, using a computer feels like cheating.

How does it make any difference? Using the USB controllers is basically the same as using a pair of CDJs with a mixer. You can use them so the only thing you do on the computer is select a track to play on each deck.

If using a computer feels like cheating, then I'm afraid you're not going to be a successful DJ. Controversial statement possibly, but there seem to me to be three camps of successful DJ:

1) don't want to use a laptop, like CDs / vinyl, but acknowledge that a computer can make your life easier / quicker / lighter.

2) those who just use a laptop and no external devices like mixers / cdjs / finalscratch who're just doing it for the cash

3) those who use laptops and all the effects in the software, along with other equipment to take mixing beyond what is possible with a CDJ + mixer set up.

It's the people in 1 & 3 who make the cash. The people in 2 get regular bookings. After all, the audience at a gig / party don't care where the music is coming from, just that it's the right music, presented well.

Anyway, like I said, if you're just doing this for practice / learning, save your cash now and buy a USB controller. If you're doing it planning to get actual work, you're going to need to spend more money on decent kit which doesn't die the first time it goes near a sub / gets knocked over.

Well, that is your choice. I started with Numarks and kicked myself to death when I wanted to upgrade after a week.

Some things are worth saving for, especially if you want to earn a crust from it.

A tradesman is only as good as his tools, or so they say.

Nobody said I wanted to earn money from it, no need to jump to conclusions :loopy:

Archived