Attention All DJ's

Personally when i was playing it HAD to be vinyl, as i saw cd's as cheating.

A few years ago the CD playing DJs all said the same about the laptop DJs. In my experience it's all calmed down these days as people have adjusted to the technology, and especially the range of things you can do with a laptop taking the skill / "art" of mixing to another level.

I've worked with vinyl DJs who just leave you standing there going "how on earth did he manage to do *that*!" after an impressive mix, but that's nothing now compared to what some experts can do with a laptop and a pile of DJ kit.

I started out with numark ttx1 turntables and then added a pair of 1210s, with a pioneer djm600, so a four turntable set up, with faster mixing and scratching without pressure.

Suited me fine and I got pretty good, until I was trying to buy tunes on vinyl that simply were not being released, only on on mp3.

Since bought a pair of numark ndx800 when they first come out at around £800 for the pair, and got rid on 2 turntables, the cd decks are good, but they are way to easy to use, require less skill and I ended up with CDs everywhere.

To be honest I fell out of love with it about 18 months ago, I found with cd decks I'd mix, then be stood there for 2 minutes waiting for correct time to release the next track.

I Said it for a long time now, there is no skill in djing anymore, not at club level, it's just pushing buttons, laptops are further proof of this.

A few years ago the CD playing DJs all said the same about the laptop DJs. In my experience it's all calmed down these days as people have adjusted to the technology, and especially the range of things you can do with a laptop taking the skill / "art" of mixing to another level.

Yeah but it can work the other way, taking skill out of the job. Guess i'm just a purist.

It seems strange that somewhere offering a DJ course wouldn't use club/industry standard equipment to teach students.

Like others have said usb midi-controllers are probably you're best/cheapest option. If you really want to stick to using cds I would say pioneer CDJs are definitely worth the extra cost!

I personally use Serato either with time-code cds or in HID mode depending on the bar/clubs set up (or depending on if you're playing back to back with someone else, one uses time-code one uses HID for ease of switching over)... The main advantage of playing from Serato is the ability to carry a huge library of songs and be more open/random in sets. As someone else has said, at the end of the day 99% of the people in the bar/club don't care what the DJ is playing the music from as long as they enjoy the night! technology when used right just opens up more creative possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...
I started out with numark ttx1 turntables and then added a pair of 1210s, with a pioneer djm600, so a four turntable set up, with faster mixing and scratching without pressure.

Suited me fine and I got pretty good, until I was trying to buy tunes on vinyl that simply were not being released, only on on mp3.

Since bought a pair of numark ndx800 when they first come out at around £800 for the pair, and got rid on 2 turntables, the cd decks are good, but they are way to easy to use, require less skill and I ended up with CDs everywhere.

To be honest I fell out of love with it about 18 months ago, I found with cd decks I'd mix, then be stood there for 2 minutes waiting for correct time to release the next track.

I Said it for a long time now, there is no skill in djing anymore, not at club level, it's just pushing buttons, laptops are further proof of this.

bleeding philistine.

on the other hand..

Archived