374m to save the world yet we have foodbanks

True, but what do you expect when Bliar is making millions a year in 'consultancy' fees and the after-dinner speech circuit?

I miss the good old days of John Major. Why? Because that government stayed in the background running the country, rather than turning politics into the dumbed-down celebrity-fest it is today.

mb shouldnt that have read ruining this country :hihi:

---------- Post added 11-06-2013 at 16:56 ----------

Less than the cost of borrowing billions at some point not long down the road.
stop digging yourself even deeper into your hole:hihi:

Less than the cost of borrowing billions at some point not long down the road.

So the constant borrowing of billions year in year out, won't cost more than borrowing billions further down the road,

I suppose it won't if we all hide behind the settee when Wiggie's man calls.

Gerra grip lad.

No, I haven't suggested that at all. Just reread what I've already written, the words are all there for you.

If we keep giving money away that we have borrowed, there wont be any defence left to spend on, it's being cut because we can't afford it

the government were trying to raid/divert the aid to pay for defence.

Is that £374 million on top of the £8950 million that the department for international development already distributes to African countries, India, Pakistan etc??

We should be looking after people in this country, and not just the unemployed, there are millions of working people who cannot afford much more than the basics too.

Why should we be the babysitter of all these countries? Sending them money year after year since well before Live-aid brought the issues overseas to our attention?

What these countries really need is a lesson in how to run a society and create an infrastructure that is stable and works. For all our moaning about our governments, at a basic level, they provide us with infrastructure which works, health, education etc. They don't need the begging bowl topping up when it's empty.

---------- Post added 12-06-2013 at 08:01 ----------

Will it cost us more in defense? Will Africa rise up and attack us?

Do you understand that if we don't spend some small amount now, it will cost a lot more in the near future?

Don't you understand we don't have the money to spend we are in debt, were borrowing money to give away.

How far into the near future do you want to go,

"But shadow treasury minister Chris Leslie said: "At this rate of deficit reduction, at less than a quarter of 1% a year, it would take 400 years to balance the books."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22261070

How about if it's in 2 years time. You'd rather save 374m now and spend 2.5b in 2 years?

That's not saving the country money.

Who are we borrowing the extra £374m off,

you don't work for Sheffield Council by any chance they seem adept at running up debt.

The government don't borrow money from individual people, corporations or countries, they sell debt on the open market.

Anyway, I happen to agree with spending money on foreign aid, I guess you don't, I can live with that.

Archived