Help with gears on a bike

Hi

My youngest just got his bike out and none of the gears work.

They're the microshift handle bar twist type.

Thing is, the bike only cost £80 and so far I've been quoted £100 and for that I could get him a new one.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Hi

My youngest just got his bike out and none of the gears work.

They're the microshift handle bar twist type.

Thing is, the bike only cost £80 and so far I've been quoted £100 and for that I could get him a new one.

Anyone help?

Thanks

There are lots of tutorials on the web. Park Tools have some. You'll need the shift levers one and one or more of the front and rear derailleur adjustment ones.

its hard to answer with no details of the symptoms. Much like saying I put the keys in the car and it doesnt work. Coming up is National bike week with some events in sheffield where I think there are some bike doctor stands. Repairs are free (providing its not major surgery) but i think you pay for parts - cables etc.

google something like sheffield national bike week to see what comes up. Maybe the local CTC or council sites have something

Sounds like something is sticking.

Could be the cable has gunged up and rusted in the outer sheaf due to lask of use.

Or the actual gears at the back is stuck due to dirt and lask of use.

Does the twist grip move at all?

Can the bike be ridden but the gears can't be changed?

its hard to answer with no details of the symptoms. Much like saying I put the keys in the car and it doesnt work. Coming up is National bike week with some events in sheffield where I think there are some bike doctor stands. Repairs are free (providing its not major surgery) but i think you pay for parts - cables etc.

google something like sheffield national bike week to see what comes up. Maybe the local CTC or council sites have something

Looks like there's one in Barkers Pool next Tuesday.

Hi

Bike can be ridden the twist shift gears won't move at all really.

Left gear (1-3) is stuck on 2 and the right one only moves from 5 to 6 at which point the chain comes off.

Thanks altus and others, will drop into Barkers pool on Tuesday and see what happens.

Archived