Are police forces 'cultivating' abuse victims?

If you manage to extract from what I wrote in my previous post that (a) I'm angry and (b) that I assume all males are abusers automatically then there is a serious problem with your reading comprehension.

There's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension at all. I suggest you re-read it yourself! Oh and there's no need for personal insults. To quote the SF mantra. Attack the post, not the poster!

There's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension at all. I suggest you re-read it yourself! Oh and there's no need for personal insults. To quote the SF mantra. Attack the post, not the poster!

I was attacking the post. I was pointing out that your post bears no resemblance to what I wrote in mine and suggesting one possible reason for that.

I was attacking the post. I was pointing out that your post bears no resemblance to what I wrote in mine and suggesting one possible reason for that.

Ah....So my comprehension skills aren't in question then?...Never mind!...I'm not arguing with you!

Ok, in the wake of the various alleged abuse cases going on at the moment, I was totally stunned the other day after talking to a female friend of mine.

She's a born and bred Sheffield 'lass'. Never lived anywhere but in Sheffield and is in her late 30's.

She received a letter from the London metropolitan police enquiring if she had ever been in a certain children's home in London, and if so was she ever 'abused'.

Now the logic (to me) of this letter, is that they must have a list of names of people who were in that 'home' at a certain point in time. So they must have sent a letter to everyone in the country with her name (which is a fairly common name) and in the right age bracket. In effect, actively trawling the entire country to find a potential 'victim'. If indeed one exists!!!

Now there are several questions this poses.

1: Are the police simply being proactive and like to be 'seen' to be bringing justice? (albeit far too many years late)

2: Is it right to 'trawl' in this manner?

3: Is this simply creating a bandwagon culture?

4: Is this the reason there are so many 'claimants'?

5: Are the 'claimants' all genuine? (no doubt a hell of a lots are, but I suspect if this method of contact is used, some may not be!)

Nothing wrong with writing out to potential witnesses/victims. How else would the police go about establishing facts behind an abuse allegation without seeking further evidence. It's the norm, the police do it all the time.

One issue I see with your post and I believe is factually incorrect. The police would not ask someone if they had been abused in the letter. The letter would ask if said person had attended/resided at the alleged home and would then invite that person to contact them.

Ok, in the wake of the various alleged abuse cases going on at the moment, I was totally stunned the other day after talking to a female friend of mine.

She's a born and bred Sheffield 'lass'. Never lived anywhere but in Sheffield and is in her late 30's.

She received a letter from the London metropolitan police enquiring if she had ever been in a certain children's home in London, and if so was she ever 'abused'.

Now the logic (to me) of this letter, is that they must have a list of names of people who were in that 'home' at a certain point in time. So they must have sent a letter to everyone in the country with her name (which is a fairly common name) and in the right age bracket. In effect, actively trawling the entire country to find a potential 'victim'. If indeed one exists!!!

Now there are several questions this poses.

1: Are the police simply being proactive and like to be 'seen' to be bringing justice? (albeit far too many years late)

2: Is it right to 'trawl' in this manner?

3: Is this simply creating a bandwagon culture?

4: Is this the reason there are so many 'claimants'?5: Are the 'claimants' all genuine? (no doubt a hell of a lots are, but I suspect if this method of contact is used, some may not be!)

Here are the issues I have with the way in which you have presented this scenario:

The use of 'cultivating' in the thread title.

Everything that I have emboldened in red above.

How would you suggest that potential witnesses and victims/survivors be indentified?

Nothing wrong with writing out to potential witnesses/victims. How else would the police go about establishing facts behind an abuse allegation without seeking further evidence. It's the norm, the police do it all the time.

One issue I see with your post and I believe is factually incorrect. The police would not ask someone if they had been abused in the letter. The letter would ask if said person had attended/resided at the alleged home and would then invite that person to contact them.

You may well be right...I didn't personally see the document, but I know my friend did contact them to advise they had the wrong person, and the inference from the phone call, although not specific, was that there was an allegation of some sort relating to the childrens home!

---------- Post added 11-06-2013 at 13:25 ----------

Not sure I follow what the post is about other than a friend of yours received a letter but; and this is a simplistic view, it would seem that if the police do nothing it's wrong and likewise if they are proactive.

I agree...they're damned if they do and damned if they don't...it's a fine line to walk.

Here are the issues I have with the way in which you have presented this scenario:

The use of 'cultivating' in the thread title.

Everything that I have emboldened in red above.

How would you suggest that potential witnesses and victims/survivors be indentified?

Ah...so it's pretty much everything in the OP that you have issue with! Well, I do apologise if my terminology doesn't express things correctly. Maybe my comprehension is bad!...

My issue with the tale I tell is that I just found it very very odd that someone should get a letter like that completely out of the blue...and I might add that my friend was somewhat troubled by it too!...So it's not unique to me.

As for my own recent experience I was very, very annoyed that the assumption made to the (all very vague I know) incident I referred to, was that because I'm a fella, I was the guilty party.

Ok, so a fair question, you ask. 'How would I expect potential witnesses/victims/survivors be identified'.

Well basically there are 2 camps...retrospective, and current.

Well the former is easy. If a complaint is made then investigate/act upon it! No more and no less.

Retrospective isn't so clear cut (obviously). Post Savile, I understand any reports received are taken seriously, as one might expect. Although we know this wasn't the case not so many years ago. So it's easier and treated with sensitivity now. If a retrospective complaint is made, then yes...Investigate and either try to substantiate the claim or dispel it as malicious after investigation.

I simply wouldn't have expected every person in the country with that name to be canvassed. Maybe that's good policing, I couldn't say. But it was certainly a shock for my friend and I was very surprised. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life or something.

But don't for one moment think I'm some kind of boorish, insensitive, lout...I'm NOT...

---------- Post added 11-06-2013 at 13:59 ----------

Clearly not, since you haven't bothered to engage with the content of my second post.

I choose not to argue with you Jessica!...It's really simple!

Archived