Best Banks 2013

ATM's generally run on the Link network so the only real issues you hit with them are either mechanical (tends to be the ones in pubs and clubs first in my experience) or your host bank's systems e.g Natwest and RBS as mentioned by WeX (both from the same banking group).

As for the accounts with the best interest, I prefer building society accounts myself but that's for savings. If you're talking about a current account (as I suspect you might be as you're talking about direct debits) then I wouldn't worry about the interest on a current account as it's generally very poor anyway. I'd worry more about potential charges (overdraft, bounced cheques, etc) as any one of those would wipe out any potential interest.

Without knowing more, I can't recommend anything in particular, and even if I did ... it'd be subject to my views and opinions, and almost everyone on here would have different views (and life's far more interesting as a result lol).

Santander, excellent throughout, and the online facility is easy to navigate and always accessible.

apart from their unannounced system maintenance on Sunday evenings that renders their internet banking useless :roll:

Santander also recently doubled their over draft fees, and insure that all debits go from accounts before credits so they can charge you a fee instantly. Unlike other banks that wait until the end of the day, santander will charge you the fee the second there is an issue, irrespective of what is about to be credited to the account.

apart from their unannounced system maintenance on Sunday evenings that renders their internet banking useless :roll:

Santander also recently doubled their over draft fees, and insure that all debits go from accounts before credits so they can charge you a fee instantly. Unlike other banks that wait until the end of the day, santander will charge you the fee the second there is an issue, irrespective of what is about to be credited to the account.

I've never been unable to log into online banking, I have multiple bank accounts with Santander. Do you have any personal experience with them?

As for over draft fees, I've never gone into mine so I couldn't say.

Customer service have been spot on from my experience too.

• 2 weeks later...
I have banked with Natwest for over 30 years and never had a problem.

Yes I am thinking of Natwest, as for as I know they are the only ATM that dispenses £5 notes so often use them for bus fair change.

With their normal free account as I presume it's called current account, do you have to pay for your overdraft?

I am with Halifax and have been for over a decade and never had any issues but would like a change and to try someone else.

Also, I have to pay for my £100 overdraft which is around £12 a month I think am not quite sure but it used to be free but the last 3 years have had to pay.

Archived