Brewdog bar coming to Sheffield ?

Andy C

Can we blow this "craft beer" vessel out of the water? now? WTF does it mean?

There is real ale, and beer brewed by other means. I've been a CAMRA members since the early days, and I cannot understand why they continue to disappear up their own backsides about definitions. "Craft beer" is a con term. Like, err..."patient choice"; " customer care".....

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 12:43 ----------

This is all smoke and mirrors. Keg is keg is (dead) keg.

This is a reprise of the 1970s - " A Double Diamond Works Wonders" etc

nope. in many cases the beer that goes in a keg is EXACTLY the same as goes in a cask. in fact it's often more natural cos it's not laced with fishguts. yes there's a load of dross sold in kegs, but putting crap beer in a cask doesn't magically make it good, and nor does putting good beer in a keg make it bad. Some beers work better on keg - as a hophead I find keg works well for me, as it enhances hop flavour and subdues the malt

in case you hadn't notices, the 70s are over!

I do agree with you that the term craft beer is meaningless and as I predicted has now been misappropriated by some decidedly 'uncraft' brewers. But there's good beer and bad beer, however you want to define that, and what container it happens to be stored in is only a small part of the distinction

nope. in many cases the beer that goes in a keg is EXACTLY the same as goes in a cask. in fact it's often more natural cos it's not laced with fishguts. yes there's a load of dross sold in kegs, but putting crap beer in a cask doesn't magically make it good, and nor does putting good beer in a keg make it bad. Some beers work better on keg - as a hophead I find keg works well for me, as it enhances hop flavour and subdues the malt

in case you hadn't notices, the 70s are over!

I do agree with you that the term craft beer is meaningless and as I predicted has now been misappropriated by some decidedly 'uncraft' brewers. But there's good beer and bad beer, however you want to define that, and what container it happens to be stored in is only a small part of the distinction

Well, that's an interesting answer. And, yes, I had noticed that the 70s are over - with great regret in some ways (i.e., youth!) but not for DD or Youngers Tartan or Whitbread Trophy ( which always mysteriously tasted of melting snow).

Actually I imagine a number of real ale drinkers will be out of town that Saturday, either at the Magna beer festival or the Dronfield CAMRA Pub of the year do at the Travellers in Apperknowle.

Brewdog should still attract a crowd - Hipsters, townies and craft beer fanboys.

Actually re Boldforesters comments, maybe correct but the better craft keg beers are basically real ale but cold and fizzy. There is a certain degree of whether cask or keg, if its rubbish beer that goes in rubbish beer will come out regardless of dispense method... In the old days keg beer was about cutting costs and dumbing beer down, not as simple now - for example John Smiths Smooth and Brewdog Punk IPA both come out of kegs but are of very different styles and standards... I do find that cask versions that has had proper secondary fermentation and served with good conditioning is always more flavoursome than keg versions of the same beer though.

Actually I imagine a number of real ale drinkers will be out of town that Saturday, either at the Magna beer festival or the Dronfield CAMRA Pub of the year do at the Travellers in Apperknowle.

Brewdog should still attract a crowd - Hipsters, townies and craft beer fanboys.

Actually re Boldforesters comments, maybe correct but the better craft keg beers are basically real ale but cold and fizzy. There is a certain degree of whether cask or keg, if its rubbish beer that goes in rubbish beer will come out regardless of dispense method... In the old days keg beer was about cutting costs and dumbing beer down, not as simple now - for example John Smiths Smooth and Brewdog Punk IPA both come out of kegs but are of very different styles and standards... I do find that cask versions that has had proper secondary fermentation and served with good conditioning is always more flavoursome than keg versions of the same beer though.

"Basically real ale but cold and fizzy"? Andy, you have surpassed yourself in spin. Are you standing for election as a Lib Dem?!

"Basically real ale but cold and fizzy"? Andy, you have surpassed yourself in spin. Are you standing for election as a Lib Dem?!

And as for "craft beer fanboys" (did I read that correctly or should there have been a "ny" addition?) This is Sheffield, not Notting Bleeding Hill. What next... Hugh Grant as the persecuted keg landlord?

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 13:41 ----------

let's not forget that keykeg is (or can be) real ale - the gas does not contact the beer at all....

Is or can be? WTF does that mean?:rant:

And as for "craft beer fanboys" (did I read that correctly or should there have been a "ny" addition?) This is Sheffield, not Notting Bleeding Hill. What next... Hugh Grant as the persecuted keg landlord?

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 13:41 ----------

Is or can be? WTF does that mean?:rant:

What goes into a kegkeg IS real ale. What comes out is still real ale unless gas is added to the beer on dispense

Archived