Brewdog bar coming to Sheffield ?

Andy C

But all in all I think it will be a bonus for Sheffield. Anything that provides more choice in pub/bars/beer and less Starbucks can't be bad. Besides, we are blessed in Sheffield with a whole range of different pubs so if one doesn't tick your boxes there will be others that do.

Very true. Even if I might have gripes with Brewdog there's plenty of other places doing craft beer very well that I don't have those gripes with.

But all in all I think it will be a bonus for Sheffield. Anything that provides more choice in pub/bars/beer and less Starbucks can't be bad. Besides, we are blessed in Sheffield with a whole range of different pubs so if one doesn't tick your boxes there will be others that do.

you never know, Brewdog might even pay some tax!

I agree with most of the posts - choice is good, but I'd only ever drop in for a single glass of something I really want to try, I'd never use it as a venue for a night out.

Their bars are very chingy, especially when you factor in the 2/3 of a pint swindle ('sometimes a pint is too much of a big beer' - yes Mr Watt, that's why beer is also sold in halves!).

someone mentioned the staff - in the two I've been to (Camden and Shoreditch) the staff are not so much trained as indoctrinated... they spout the company line about all the beers being really innovative (some are, some aren't) but couldn't actually describe them. As for the customers, both bars were populated by utter w****rs (I believe they prefer to be called hipsters, but it ain't gonna happen!)

It will be interesting to see what their Sheffield outlet looks like and who it will be aimed at. Students seem to have a lot less money in their pockets nowadays and many of them don't even drink :o

Au contraire! Students now have more disposable income than ever, with the complete dominance of student loans for finance. So it little matters to them whether a pint costs £2 or £4.50 - it's all going to have to be paid back in the event of gaining a job after graduation. There are more students going out to town now than ever. When I was an undergrad here we would stick to student places because it was cheap and we had to budget carefully. Not so any more.

That's a digression on the road to saying that Brew Dog would thrive here, absolutely. I'm surprised there isn't one here already. What seems to be a downside to this diversity, however, is the upward creep of prices, much commented on in relation to the Tap.

There are signs that this is not necessarily a wise model for Sheffield pubs and bars in particular though. I hear that the Brew Kitchen franchise is looking a bit shaky - my suspicion only, but I think they expanded too fast, misjudging Sheffielders' willingness to pay over the odds for admittedly decent if not excellent quality food and drink.

I for one am certainly getting less likely to pay above £3 for a local brew, unless the quality is guaranteed. Hence my complete boycott of the Dev Cat since it stopped keeping its beer well.

I`ll be pleased if it happens.

We need more drinking spots in that (nice) part of town. Dev Cat is rubbish now but a decent little crawl could be Bath, Hop, Forum / Old House, Brewdog, Henry`s. At the moment, it`s no contest in Town vs Kelham imho but this could make it interesting.

I can`t say as I`d spend long in a Brewdog place but they will have different beers which has got to be good. Personally, with them being expensive I`m (even more) selective about what I choose.

And, as said, it might push the Tap to pull up its socks.

Whilst talking about good beers, I thought I'd mention The Hop Beer Festival over the next few days.

Tasting notes here:

http://www.thehop-sheffield.com/Portals/9/Tasting%20notes%20-%20over%20the%20hills%20-%201.pdf

I think that's as good a selection of IPA's as I've seen in a pub for a long time.

Regards

Doom

A few nice darker beers on that list too. Will there be annoyingly loud music the whole time, I wonder?

A few nice darker beers on that list too. Will there be annoyingly loud music the whole time, I wonder?

I'm afraid that's usually the downside, although if the weather holds up there is the outdoor area.

We're hopefully going tonight, I'm hoping the loud music won't be on when we get there.

Regards

Doom

I'm afraid that's usually the downside, although if the weather holds up there is the outdoor area.

We're hopefully going tonight, I'm hoping the loud music won't be on when we get there.

Regards

Doom

I'm going strainght from work for a couple of hours, going home before the weekend rabble and loud 'music' start... back tomorrow afternoon, again should be quiet at least on the music front... should be a few brewers in too

I agree with all this.

I see it as a chance to sample some of the monster beers from Oregon & California. I don't mind paying 4 quid for a third of a pint of something rare (to these shores) and really good. I think their other bars even do the occasional Alesmith?

Wouldn't use it as a session place and I will probably only use it in the afternoon/weekdays because I can see it being a hell-hole on weekend nights.

Well Jonny, looks like me and you in the place anyway. I'm looking forward to it and not having to go yo Leeds for such things as the Alesmith tasting night on Monday. At the moment there is really nowhere else in Sheffield that offers anything like that. So any addition is good surely? After all I read that the Tap are now applying for a licence in Leeds. With other quality beer bars they already have there Leeds is in danger if becoming a better night out than Sheffield. And none of us want that do we?

I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure i agree with the student having more disposable income then ever comment. Just take a look on west st during the week. A ghost town compared to when i was a student. Very few of them seem to come out early these days. The indie kids will probably love the place if/when it opens. I expect a fair bit of price moaning though.

How late the license is will make or break it i think.

Archived