Brewdog bar coming to Sheffield ?

Andy C

Why are "craft" keg beers so expensive compared to cask? Thornbridge usually charge at least 40p more for the same beer on keg.

- generally come in disposable 'KeyKegs' so the cost of the keg is factored into the price

- cost of gas and flash cooling

- marketed as a premium more fashionable product

In some cases I'm led to believe they put more hops into the keg version to maintain the flavour after gassing and chilling but that could be an urban myth....

- generally come in disposable 'KeyKegs' so the cost of the keg is factored into the price

- cost of gas and flash cooling

- marketed as a premium more fashionable product

In some cases I'm led to believe they put more hops into the keg version to maintain the flavour after gassing and chilling but that could be an urban myth....

One of the main promises made by Keykeg manufacturers is higher profits for the brewer.

This is from their website.

"Advantages for you

You’ll make higher profits with KeyKeg. Right away, choosing KeyKeg gives you all these advantages:

Higher profit

Considerable savings over steel kegs

Additional export opportunities

No more uncertainty in calculating cost prices and margins

Immediate return on investment

No more money tied up in steel kegs

No more ‘lost’ steel kegs"

using keykegs for domestic beer supplies p155es me off tbh... they're brilliant for export as they're relatively cheap, light, and you don't have to worry about getting them back

but for a brewery to send keykegs from e.g. bakewell to sheffield is frankly ridiculous, a waste of money (for the consumer) and a waste of resources/materials

I have nothing against keg beer when done right, but for local supply use proper, reusable kegs!

Brewdog have applied for a premises licence for the former Starbucks unit on Division Street.

Brewdog bars serve their own and guest craft beers on keg and bottle and are generally very expensive.

http://www.brewdog.com/bars

Haven't noticed anyone else bring it up, but there's no mention of Sheffield in that link?

Haven't noticed anyone else bring it up, but there's no mention of Sheffield in that link?

Brewdog head honcho James Watt has mentioned sniffing round Sheffield for a potential site a few times on his twitterfeed. Brewdog will make announcements about a new bar in Sheffield when they are ready.

It may also be prudent to watch for any potential publicity stunts to mark the eventual opening of Brewdog Sheffield.

The link was provided to give an idea what Brewdog bars are like.

Remember they need to get a licence and planning approval from the council before they will be in a position to make a public announcement.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this comment on the Brewdog site:

Sheffield has long be screaming out for a BrewDog bar and we have answered the call. Despite its rich beer heritage, Sheffield has long been dominated by mass marketed industrial beers brewed by faceless corporations. With the arrival of BrewDog Sheffield on Devonshire Street, we plan to change this.

Do they just churn out the same spiel every time?

I wouldn't say Sheffield is dominated by mass marketed industrial beers, unless you consider Thornbridge, Abbeydale, Kelham Island etc. to fall into that bracket.

Regards

Doom

Archived