Great Sheffield Icons

double

The hole in the road was a great icon demolished, got rid of, removed by Sheffield council in the name of progress I'm sure many of u remember the Fish Tank a favourite with young and old and a great meeting place. Other great building have also been removed by our council in the name of progress. The wedding cake registry Office for instance, St Paul's now the site of The Peace Gardens.Aswell as buildings, communities were devastated in the name of progress Such as Ellesmere, Heeley and Hillsborough to name a few replaced by Kelvin flats Hyde Park, Norfolk Park and Pye Bank and other's which some of are no in existence now (progress)

Sorry double. I am Hillsborough born and bred, circa 1945 and certainly don't remember it being devastated as a community????

There was a large community on Penistone Road in around the Hillsborough Park/ Bassetts area right up Owlerton Stadium..........Think back????????

St. Paul’s would now have been derelict anyway. If it hadn’t gone then it wouldhave gone now through lack of Christian support.

I'm no Charlie Church but it was a grand building now confined to history Christians or not

If it wasn’t for progress you’d still be living in a one-up-one down in a courtyard like those that once stood in Wentworth Street, Upperthorpe, and Bridport Road, Attercliffe. Not only that, you’d have had gas lighting and cold water at home, a tin bath on a hook outside the door, a couple of corny feet to take you to work, and your only takeaway would have been a fish and chip chip-cart when somebody invented it.

Progress means things like computers (which you’ve obviously got), and even if you kept one of each type of building for old time’s sake you’d still have a conglomoration of buildings that nobody wanted, and as a Council Tax payer you’d have the expense of paying for their upkeep. The Peace Gardens, which I have to admit I haven’t seen lately, was and still should be a vast improvement on an old, blackened church.

I’m sure that in this 21st century all those people who insist on keeping old buildings don’t want to work in them. They prefer to have them renovated and refurbished to live in, in a degree or two of comfort.

The world has changed, my friend. Sheffield isn’t a killer smoke bomb any more. I’m probably as sorry as you might be at the loss of the old Empire Theatre and its live music-hall, but television has replaced it and I’m not weeping over it. Comedians have to come up with something different every time they appear on television. In the ‘good old days’ they kept the same act until the day they died!

Remember, it’s 2006 — not 1806!

There was a large community on Penistone Road in around the Hillsborough Park/ Bassetts area right up Owlerton Stadium..........Think back????????

So the buildings and homes have gone, that's progress. I would invite you to tell anyone in Hillsborough that their community and spirit have been devastated. I can pre-empt the reply meowdluv.

Archived