MOBO awards. Doesn't that cover it all?

Kate Bush was playing whilst I read this. I fail to see any black influence in her music. Then The Fall came on and likewise, no obvious black influence.

you're not looking deep enough then, both come from rock related influences which in turn originated from the blues

you're not looking deep enough then, both come from rock related influences which in turn originated from the blues

That's a ridiculously simplistic view.

Rock music owes just as much to other musical traditions as it does to the blues.

I don't get why people are so determined to credit all modern music solely to black people, is it a white guilt thing?

That's a ridiculously simplistic view.

Rock music owes just as much to other musical traditions as it does to the blues.

I don't get why people are so determined to credit all modern music solely to black people, is it a white guilt thing?

of course there's other influences, BUT in this instance the blues infuence is what matters

and as for your second point, no, in my case I enjoy music, all types, enjoy talking about it, and looking where it comes from

---------- Post added 15-06-2013 at 11:59 ----------

I can't seem to edit my post to add a bit on my phone :(

I was gonna add

jimmy the blues reference was in reply to nagel, when he said he couldn't see a mobo connection, that's why I only mentioned the blues

How about electronica?
A truly interesting one.

I assume you're talking about european electronica of the 70's? Stuff like Kraftwerk and Jean Michelle Jarre and Mike Oldfield and stuff like that?

Its hard to say. Its should technically be an offshoot of soul and disco but made electronically and is just early proto-techno. So if you want to get technical really it is black but its pretty far removed, its like saying your 3rd cousin is a close relative. But it was made almost exclusively by whites and lacks almost everything that sounds black.

Later Afrika Bambaataa and Arthur Baker adapted the sound into hiphop it definitely became more black and as they started working with Factory Records in Manchester it became more white again. Hard to say really.

My thread though so I say TKO to truman!

I was looking at another thread earlier and the MOBO awards were mentioned. For those of you that don't know the MOBO's are the

Music

Of

Black

Origin Awards

Now I'm no musicologist but aside from classical music isn't that pretty much everything else? I'm hard pressed to think of a single genre that doesn't stem from a black origin

It depends how far you want to go back, if cavemen made music, is anyone sure of the colour of their skin?

---------- Post added 15-06-2013 at 13:22 ----------

Opera?...........

Classical music has certainly influenced some black music...

Biz Markie demonstrating he has the voice of an angel at 1:30

A truly interesting one.

I assume you're talking about european electronica of the 70's? Stuff like Kraftwerk and Jean Michelle Jarre and Mike Oldfield and stuff like that?

Its hard to say. Its should technically be an offshoot of soul and disco but made electronically and is just early proto-techno. So if you want to get technical really it is black but its pretty far removed, its like saying your 3rd cousin is a close relative. But it was made almost exclusively by whites and lacks almost everything that sounds black.

Later Afrika Bambaataa and Arthur Baker adapted the sound into hiphop it definitely became more black and as they started working with Factory Records in Manchester it became more white again. Hard to say really.

I'd recommend you watch the Howard Goodall series if you haven't already. There's one on the history of music which takes in black music and its huge influence in the 20th C and another on how music works, breaking it down into melody, rhythm, harmony, bass, etc. Both series are absolutely fascinating and presented with the minimum of studio trickery or location filming.

It's just Howard Goodall lecturing to camera. Luckily he's a great lecturer and an accomplished musician so he hammers out a tune to illustrate a point.

They're on YouTube or download from the usual places.

Here's the one on rhythm -

---------- Post added 15-06-2013 at 14:02 ----------

How about electronica?

How about sampling which was invented by Steve Reich? 'It's Gonna Rain' is reckoned to be the first music to use sampling -

A truly interesting one.

How on earth do you come up with the idea that Krautrock is an offshoot of soul and disco? :huh:

Archived