Swingboats at Moscar top

tedog

I don't remember swingboats at Moscar Top but they were certainly a long-standing feature of the valley. There were some swingboats at Hollow Meadows, just opposite the entrance to the track that led round Rivelin Dams (the "ravine"). There was a refreshments hut beside the road, with swingboats in the field behind, operated by the old gent who had the hut. They were there in the 1950s but had gone by the mid-1960s.

Going back further, I have a postcard (dated 1910) showing some swingboats beside the double bend - see here. Note that the card is captioned "New Road, Rivelin". Rivelin Valley Road was new in 1907 but my mum, bless her, who was born a decade later, called it the "new road" all her life..:)

I used to cycle from from Crosspool up Sandygate Rd to Redmires past the POW camp towards Wyming Brook then down the ravine to Hollow Meadows where we'd have a go on the Boatswings as we called 'em.

...think it cost 3d each
Your memory is good, rabitter - that was the cost in the 1950s. But after I'd bought a bottle of Tizer and some crisps, somehow there was never enough left from my pocket money for the swingboats..:(

on our bikes on way to castleton we used to call at hut for a mug of tea and then up to swingboats for 15 mins ride.think it cost 3d each

We did the same...

Often cycled to Castleton with my sister and Dad.

Can't comment on the price...Dad paid.:)

Archived