Help locating Rafter and Higginbottom family

Hello,

I am trying to locate some family from Sheffield but it is proving very difficult as its my nans side of the family and she died about 10 years ago now. I am really hoping maybe this might work. I've lived in Sheffield myself for 7 years now but none of our family have any idea if we do any distant relatives still here.

My Nan was born in Sheffield on Penistone road, i believe the house they lived in and she was born in would have been somewhere around where City Limits dance studio/McDonalds now is. She was born in 1928 to Nellie and Thomas Rafter. Nellie (my great nan) had the maiden name Higginbottom and I believe they married in the Ecclesall Bierlow district around early 1900's. My Great Grandfather Thomas was a postman, which is why I thought perhaps more people might know him form back then.

I have tried to trace back from there to find the descendants on both sides to see if there is anyone about but I've found it very difficult. My Nan used to always talk about a little brother, but from what I can find about my great grandparents, they had 2 children, first a boy who sadly died within the first 3 months of his life, then they had my Nan in 1928. My Nan moved out of Sheffield to London around the 40's and both my great grandparents died a long long time ago. I know this is a very long shot but if anyone knows anything about either of these families I would appreciate if you could contact me as I would love to learn more about my ancestors and find out if they did actually have another son, as he could still be alive now.

Thank you for reading

xx

Hello,

I am trying to locate some family from Sheffield but it is proving very difficult as its my nans side of the family and she died about 10 years ago now. I am really hoping maybe this might work. I've lived in Sheffield myself for 7 years now but none of our family have any idea if we do any distant relatives still here.

My Nan was born in Sheffield on Penistone road, i believe the house they lived in and she was born in would have been somewhere around where City Limits dance studio/McDonalds now is. She was born in 1928 to Nellie and Thomas Rafter. Nellie (my great nan) had the maiden name Higginbottom and I believe they married in the Ecclesall Bierlow district around early 1900's. My Great Grandfather Thomas was a postman, which is why I thought perhaps more people might know him form back then.

I have tried to trace back from there to find the descendants on both sides to see if there is anyone about but I've found it very difficult. My Nan used to always talk about a little brother, but from what I can find about my great grandparents, they had 2 children, first a boy who sadly died within the first 3 months of his life, then they had my Nan in 1928. My Nan moved out of Sheffield to London around the 40's and both my great grandparents died a long long time ago. I know this is a very long shot but if anyone knows anything about either of these families I would appreciate if you could contact me as I would love to learn more about my ancestors and find out if they did actually have another son, as he could still be alive now.

Thank you for reading

xx

Try here under burials,

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

thank you so much, I can see my great grandad on there, it says removed form parish though, does that mean his grave is no longer there? I can't seem to find anything for my great nan, hopefully all this researching will pay off eventually!! Thanks for the link x

---------- Post added 15-06-2013 at 23:56 ----------

another bit of information I have found out is that my great nan was actually a widow when she married my great grandad, I believe she had previously been married to a man called John Moore in 1910 who died either a few years later, she remarried my great grandad in 1919. I don't know if any of this will help but im clutching at straws!!

:-)

It wasn't unusual for families to take on other relatives children for various reasons in those days. My grandad grew up knowing his uncle more as an older brother (due to deceased grandparents, and his mother being the oldest of her siblings). Perhaps this little brother was actually a cousin? How much did she talk about this brother? Is there any possibility she is actually his mother?

Hello,

Thank you for reading

xx

f you go on the Grimesthorpe thread a lot on there will know the higgingbottoms I knew a susan but the was years ago so try that thread

It wasn't unusual for families to take on other relatives children for various reasons in those days. My grandad grew up knowing his uncle more as an older brother (due to deceased grandparents, and his mother being the oldest of her siblings). Perhaps this little brother was actually a cousin? How much did she talk about this brother? Is there any possibility she is actually his mother?

That's a really good point, might not be her actual brother! She didn't speak about him to me, it was my grandad who said she used to always talk about her little brother! Hopefully I will find out a little more when I get the birth, marriage and death certificate relating to Thomas!!

I suppose there is the possibility he was her son, but it would mean she must have had him very young! Hopefully I'll get through this brick wall soon!!

:-) x

---------- Post added 16-06-2013 at 10:58 ----------

f you go on the Grimesthorpe thread a lot on there will know the higgingbottoms I knew a susan but the was years ago so try that thread

That's great thank you! I've put a post on there so fingers crossed! Where abouts did you know a Susan higginbottom from? It seemed to be a popular name back then but not so much these days!

That's a really good point, might not be her actual brother! She didn't speak about him to me, it was my grandad who said she used to always talk about her little brother! Hopefully I will find out a little more when I get the birth, marriage and death certificate relating to Thomas!!

I suppose there is the possibility he was her son, but it would mean she must have had him very young! Hopefully I'll get through this brick wall soon!!

That's great thank you! I've put a post on there so fingers crossed! Where abouts did you know a Susan higginbottom from? It seemed to be a popular name back then but not so much these days!

There is this birth

Births Dec 1925

Rafter Vincent mother- Higginbottom Sheffield 9c 970

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Can't see a death record

Re Nellie Higginbottom born 1889, I have found the following which will need to be verified.

1911 census - 65 Broadfield, Heeley, Sheffield.

Matthew Moore, head, 60yrs, mar (30yrs), Road scavenger for Corporation,

born Ramsey, Huntinghamshire.

Anne M. Moore, wife, 57yrs, born Ramsey, Huntinghamshire.

JOHN MOORE, son, 21yrs, Mar (under 1 year), Carting Contractor, born

Ramsey, Huntinghamshire.

Mary L. Moore, daug, 17yrs, born Reavley, Huntinghamshire.

NELLIE L. HIGGINBOTTOM, granddaughter, 2yrs, born Derby, Derbyshire.

1911 census - H. M. Prison, Vernon St, Derby, Dby.

NELLIE MOORE, inmate, 22yrs, mar (under1 year),occupation - charing,

born Sheffield, Yks.

Free BMD: Nellie Louisa Higginbottom, Birth Mar. Q. 1909, Derby, Ref:7b 619.

Free BMD: John H. Moore, Death Mar Q 1913 aged 23, Ref: Ecclesall B. 9c 481

In 1910 Nellie and John Moore married in Sheffield so why was Nellie Louisa

Higginbottom born in Derby?

Sorry this is not exactly good news.

Kind regards,

Moira.

Re Nellie Higginbottom born 1889, I have found the following which will need to be verified.

1911 census - 65 Broadfield, Heeley, Sheffield.

Matthew Moore, head, 60yrs, mar (30yrs), Road scavenger for Corporation,

born Ramsey, Huntinghamshire.

Anne M. Moore, wife, 57yrs, born Ramsey, Huntinghamshire.

JOHN MOORE, son, 21yrs, Mar (under 1 year), Carting Contractor, born

Ramsey, Huntinghamshire.

Mary L. Moore, daug, 17yrs, born Reavley, Huntinghamshire.

NELLIE L. HIGGINBOTTOM, granddaughter, 2yrs, born Derby, Derbyshire.

1911 census - H. M. Prison, Vernon St, Derby, Dby.

NELLIE MOORE, inmate, 22yrs, mar (under1 year),occupation - charing,

born Sheffield, Yks.

Free BMD: Nellie Louisa Higginbottom, Birth Mar. Q. 1909, Derby, Ref:7b 619.

Free BMD: John H. Moore, Death Mar Q 1913 aged 23, Ref: Ecclesall B. 9c 481

In 1910 Nellie and John Moore married in Sheffield so why was Nellie Louisa

Higginbottom born in Derby?

Sorry this is not exactly good news.

Kind regards,

Moira.

Hi Moira, thanks for all the info, its gets very confusing doesn't it as there are so many people with the same name. Nellie married John so I don't think the census is for the same people as it says Nellie is 2 and has the surname Higginbottom rather then Moore. I believe the marriage in 1910 to be correct and there is the possiblilty she could have lived in Derbyshire previously, there are quite a lot of Nellie Higginbottoms registered in Sheffield back then, I think it's going to be a case of ordering all the birth/marriage/death certificates that seem close and going from what it says on them. I know my great grandfather was born in 1888, and my great nan Nellie was younger then him. I think I might be better to try and focus on the great granddad's side first and get some research experience then it might help with the great nans side!

Do you know if theres any way of finding out more about the person who was registered in HM Prison in Derby? It won't be my great Nan as it says she was 22 in 1911 and i'm sure I remember my nans birth certificate saying my great nan was in her late 20's when she had my nan in 1928, interesting to find out more though and see if they are connected in some way as its quite a coincidence for there to be so many matching names.

Thanks for all the info, its lovely of you to take the time to help me!!!

xx

Yes I knew a Susan Higginbottom but I`m talking the 70s we did have a school reunion in 94 where I spoke to her briefly but by the end of the night ,we were all to sloshed............Not seen her since but I moved away from Sheffield but kept in touch with a few some since died good luck with the search and hope you find more information .............x

Archived