Cuts to services but still rampant Government waste

And large sections of it appear to be largely contentious from a group who appear to think, for example, whiteboards for teachers are a luxury (except perhaps in private schools) and want to outsource shed loads more jobs (remind me who's been banging on about G4S and other private companies on another thread).

I presume you are talking about electronic whiteboards, which, while I wouldn't call them a luxury, are certainly a very mixed blessing in my opinion.

And - while we're on the subject, keeping up with the latest technology in schools is very expensive and creates no end of waste. Updating to new equipment often means retiring perfectly servicable stuff. Think mobile phones, only on a much much larger and more expensive scale.

I'd spend the money on a good teacher anyday.

I presume you are talking about electronic whiteboards, which, while I wouldn't call them a luxury, are certainly a very mixed blessing in my opinion.

So were blackboards and chalk in that case - the taxpayers alliance however include the whiteboards in their "waste".

The taxpayers alliance also seem to think we can save billions by eradicating all missed hospital appointments, making all GP's work out of hours, eradicating all unused prescriptions.

This is cloud cuckoo land stuff.

Look at it another way. Never mind why they can't pay for their own food, why does it take 3,000 people from the BBC to film a bit of tennis?

It doesn't. By a long way. It does get broadcast for two weeks though, and the set up and pack down will take the best part of a week as well. I based my figures on 150 crew, which is not abnormally high for the amount of work they do there. Remember the BBC provide coverage of all 20 odd courts, there's over 20 camera operators alone in centre court.

The source is the 'Big Bumper Book of Government waste' which is published annually, and contains stuff like this year after year.

Which if you read it, mostly quotes tabloid papers as it's sources.

For all those banging on about BBC costs. Television costs money.

Here is a clip from a show that breaks everything down and shows the real amount of how much things can cost. Skip to 2:23 for the right section

Here is another clip which shows how complicated making television is. Its quite amzing to see how much of a faff it is. I can easily see why they need so many people

Archived