River Reports - New Season

chidorii

So... who's spent some time on a River since the coarse close season lapsed? and if no, any plans to?

I didn't manage today (16th)... but I'm bankside Don tomorrow, very excited, I'll be happy to catch owt but would love a nice chub or a barbel to eat my meat!

hi sheff 13, my friend has slight mobility problems so whenever we fish together we fish waters with a short walk and good access. the stretch of the trent we fished is at the bottom end of collingham in pegs 230 onwards. to get there, turn right at the pub in collingham then right again opposite the church. follow the road/track all the way to a dead end where you park. the pegs to the right offer the best access, banks are easy to get down and there's a flat gravel bed at the bottom. the first peg is right next to the car park. hope this is of some help.

I've only been the once, quite a few years ago, I'll never forget how full of life it was/is. Caught my first chub and first barbel, both about 3 inches long, but I was amazed!

Anyway, rather late response to my own post but... I did spend a morning on the Don, Monday, and was very enjoyable, a little slow perhaps and the trip to the bank saw me disturb roughly a million midges haha. Eaten alive doesn't quite cut it.

The fishing wasn't frantic, but was steady and getting nice bites every 20 or 30mins resulting in some hefty trout and chub to 2lb6oz. The odd thing was at about 10oclock I had a decent run of whacking runs but I didn't get any of them out, very strong fish. First my hook came off, I thought I'd leave the tackle the same as it could have been a bad tie. Next the hook-length snapped just below the loop, so off went the 3lb and on went the 5lb, which resulted in a hook being straightened out!, then 10mins later another snap. What beast can snap 5lb4oz line and eats double red maggot? Something for next time, that's what!

Honestly don't know what I was doing wrong, like I say, the bite was a wrap around quiver, which I then carefully manage the first run of the fish (giving a decent amount of line), as it turns to me, I hold the rod up/across slowly, then begin playing the fish, about 2-10 seconds into this, bang, its all over. Perhaps I just got it wrong, perhaps there's something big out there!

Anyhow, I'll post back with more results.

Thanks for the information Charlie but to tell you the truth my real reason for me not fishing the Trent is my wife, it's her decision to ban me because of my stupidity getting myself into difficulty shall we say about three years ago whilst fishing a club match.

I do know were you mean & it is comfortable for the river.

But I have to agree with my gaffer as she takes me locally & if I go with friends to the river she will refuse to take me locally when I'm on my own.

Went over Dunham Bridge the other day and the Trent looked lovely. Does anyone know if you can still fish it on the left, this side of the bridge? There's a little pull-in with a weight limit on it where I used to park in the 70's. If mmory serves me correctly the now defunct Sheffield AA used to have the fishing rights to the left (downstream) and Rotherham to the right.

the last time i fished dunham there was a sign on what was the sheffield + dist. bank saying 'private land-no fishing'. we fished the right hand bank but the litter, including used toilet paper, put us off from going again.

i thought it may have been busy last sunday but there were only two cars parked up.

Absolutely itching to get bankside again, unfortunately I cannot get til next sunday.

Worried that we may get a stupid amount of rainfall! I struggle when the water is up, but I guess it's all part n parcel of it! (learn and learn, why else would we go?) I watch the programs and they all get 13lb barbel when there's a flood! Me, on the other hand, looses his baiting needle and any chance of a fish by 8am.

Anyone been riverering it up?

Archived