River Reports - New Season

chidorii

My club has a match next week at Dunham, the right bank on the Dunham side of the river. Sadly I'll not be going.

I've had a word with the club secretary about me weighing in what I catch at Aston but he won't allow that. Hardly fair is it.

---------- Post added 23-06-2013 at 15:09 ----------

I've been in my local today & the club secretary told me the match at Dunham as been switched to south Clifton. According to what I was told the Barble society has take control of Dunham.

If it's the Barble society I thought their waters were members only, as far as I'm aware members still have to pay for different venues as well as having a members permit.

Don't take this as fact though as it's only what I've been told.

ive never fished a river, but want to give it a go this year, anyone know any good places on don or rother

Hey Gazza c, I fish it (Don) around meadowhall, usually a difficult trip to the bank though. The other place I have been is the part where Attercliffe Road goes over it, been upstream and downstream, plenty of pegs, or a good little walk if you travel light.

Would advise having a walk down the river in advance tbh, the vegetation has shot up the last few week and has made some of my spots hard to get to!

As for the rother... I go past it every day and some parts look the biz, but mostly hear bad reports, perhaps someone has been recently and will chip in.

Went over Dunham Bridge the other day and the Trent looked lovely. Does anyone know if you can still fish it on the left, this side of the bridge? There's a little pull-in with a weight limit on it where I used to park in the 70's. If mmory serves me correctly the now defunct Sheffield AA used to have the fishing rights to the left (downstream) and Rotherham to the right.

There was 2 guy's fishing there last night approx 6pm!

I've been back on the Don on sunday, had a few nice trout and lovely little dace.

Again though, the flurries of runs didn't come as they did last year (despite trying a multitude of rig changes). Forgive my poor river-craft, but in these hot months, is there a type of swim I'm looking for? I'm assuming the places I've been are deep holds and possibly lower oxygen means I'm just in the wrong location?

Needs some more water in the Don, Few spots on Rother that got some double figure Barbel and some big Chub.

Fish the Trent in a few places round Newark always seam to do better for Barbel at night though not been this season yet but will be

Hi FE

The trent was good in it,s day , when the power stations were pumping in all the warm water. Don,t fish it these days but the best spot around the newark area it the eighties was the weir field at winthorpe pegs 5 and 6, cast to the 13 buoy, known as the goldfish bowl a good match angler on any one of those pegs and the rest could go home.

I'm no matchman, I fish the Trent for its bigger specimens, Barbel, Chub and seen some clonkers pulled out using a specimen tactics approach do days and nights. Dont fish winthorpe area now silly prices for a day ticket (10 quid) pay 4 or 5 quid elsewhere

Archived