Teaching disabled teenagers to drive.

There is an event to be held at Donington Park, Derbyshire on Saturday 13th. July with the aim of getting disabled teenagers to drive and also newly disabled back to driving.

Did you know that a disabled teenager can have a driving licence from the age of 16?. Youngsters from 14 are welcome to try transferring into a car and handling the controls as well as travel as a passenger on the day.

The whole idea is to give disabled people hope and show that independence is possible.

The event is called 'Get Going Live' and full details can be found at http://www.getgoinglive.co.uk.

Note to Mods, Sorry if you think this is in the wrong catagory but I sincerely feel that such an event deserves maximum publicity.

There is an event to be held at Donington Park, Derbyshire on Saturday 13th. July with the aim of getting disabled teenagers to drive and also newly disabled back to driving.

Did you know that a disabled teenager can have a driving licence from the age of 16?. Youngsters from 14 are welcome to try transferring into a car and handling the controls as well as travel as a passenger on the day.

The whole idea is to give disabled people hope and show that independence is possible.

The event is called 'Get Going Live' and full details can be found at http://www.getgoinglive.co.uk.

Note to Mods, Sorry if you think this is in the wrong catagory but I sincerely feel that such an event deserves maximum publicity.

Isnt this discrimination against able-bodied teenagers? I never knew this.

Perhaps 'No User Name' would care to change places. I am sure that ALL disabled 16 year old drivers would rather be able bodied.

I'm not saying that, for crying out loud. If a 16 year old disabled person is seen as being allowed to drive then I see no reason why all 16 year olds cant be allowed to drive. Just seems like "positive discrimination" to me, no need to get defensive. Of course they wont want to be disabled.

Can we have a sensible discussion on it?

I'm not saying that, for crying out loud. If a 16 year old disabled person is seen as being allowed to drive then I see no reason why all 16 year olds cant be allowed to drive. Just seems like "positive discrimination" to me, no need to get defensive. Of course they wont want to be disabled.

Can we have a sensible discussion on it?

I think that the answer is obvious, it's a bit like asking: why are the blind allowed guide dogs in shops? Is this discrimination as well?

I think that the answer is obvious, it's a bit like asking: why are the blind allowed guide dogs in shops? Is this discrimination as well?

Well not really as those dogs are trained for a specific purpose.

A 16 year old is either mentally ready to drive or isnt, a physical disability (I assume thats what the legislation covers, rather than mental ones) has no bearing on that really IMO.

A 16 year old is either mentally ready to drive or isnt, a physical disability (I assume thats what the legislation covers, rather than mental ones) has no bearing on that really IMO.

That holes getting bigger.:hihi::hihi:

I well know what it feels like to be newly disabled. No one offered to help me and after a year of watching my car standing in my garage I contacted a company and had it modified. It took a while to get used to it but I cannot begin to tell how good that newly found independence felt.

Disabled teenagers often lack confidence and the chance to drive can give them a whole new outlook on life. However for many young people learning to drive is mixed with emotions of anticipation, excitement and apprehension. Then there are added concerns, such as safety, which can impact on the young disabled driver and their parents.

It is for these reasons that the government allows 16 year olds the opportunity to drive. In a way it gives them a step to 'catch up' with their abled bodied contemporaries.

It is for these reasons that I will be attending 'Get Going Live !' to encourage all disabled people to gain maximum independence.

That holes getting bigger.:hihi::hihi:

Not really, on average a 16 year old physically disabled lad is going to have the same mental capability as a 16 year old able-bodied one.

I see why it is done but Im sure 16 year olds would want the chance to drive now, disabled or not.

I do believe that they do train and test people before they let them loose on the roads, so that should put you at ease.

As to the answer as to why they are allowed, it's because it makes a difficult life easier. Am I talking about guide dogs or 16 year old with disabilities to drive?

Archived