Panorama - Elderly Care

Once again Panarama has exposed how some of the elderly are treated in these private homes.

If I had my way they should only employ nurses or care workers over the age of forty. People who are mature enough to understand what it's like to have elderly parents.

Once again Panarama has exposed how some of the elderly are treated in these private homes.

If I had my way they should only employ nurses or care workers over the age of forty. People who are mature enough to understand what it's like to have elderly parents.

What has age got to do with it. You can be an abusive, incompetent, uncaring nurse or car worker at 20, 40, or 60.

Training, supervision and management are the key issues here.

What has age got to do with it. You can be an abusive, incompetent, uncaring nurse or car worker at 20, 40, or 60.

Correctamundo. Bottom line, pay peanuts - get monkeys. Or you can still pay nurses a decent wage and they still won't give a toss if they are of that mindset, and its probably easier to bring a 747 down with a peashooter than get s nurse struck off. Any reason why they are sticking the boot into private homes than both private and council run ones? It leads to the mindset that private bad/public good and that isn't the case at all.

The care sector is very poorly paid, it must be difficult to get people who are in the job for the right reasons. Long hours, split shifts, 7 days per week, 365 days a year, it's just not an attractive career path at the moment.

The care sector is very poorly paid, it must be difficult to get people who are in the job for the right reasons. Long hours, split shifts, 7 days per week, 365 days a year, it's just not an attractive career path at the moment.

From my experience with care homes I noticed that a lot of the staff seem to get very frustrated with the residents, some almost stop seeing them as human beings.

---------- Post added 17-06-2013 at 22:58 ----------

I agree, in fact most of the bad carers I know have been in their 40s and 50s.

And compassion.

Selecting the right people for the job in the first place I think is important.

At the moment carers are the Cinderellas of the employment world, and it seems anyone can be a carer as long as they're prepared to do it for next to nothing. But training and getting the right sort of people costs money and that will cut into profits - which is why it will not happen.

These places should be none profit making, with the welfare of the elderly being the most important thing, not how cheaply you can provide 'care'

And compassion.

Selecting the right people for the job in the first place I think is important.

At the moment carers are the Cinderellas of the employment world, and it seems anyone can be a carer as long as they're prepared to do it for next to nothing. But training and getting the right sort of people costs money and that will cut into profits - which is why it will not happen.

These places should be none profit making, with the welfare of the elderly being the most important thing, not how cheaply you can provide 'care'

Doesn't always work like that. Some the ideas used at the home my dad are ridiculously simple, so simple I'd have never thought of it in a million years. Others are based on cold logic and common sense, which also isn't used everywhere. Of course compassion is needed as is staggering amounts of patience. But the big chains are coming up with some good ideas like this one.

http://www.fshc.co.uk/our-services/care-types/pearl-dementia-care/ these are far better than the "take this pill and we'll see you again when you're lucid when we give you another one" which is all too common.

Nowt wrong with profit if you deliver a good service.

Archived