Barack Obama ridicules George Osborne

Ha ha ha, priceless...

George Osborne suffered humiliation in front of other world leaders at the G8 summit when US President Barack Obama repeatedly called him "Jeffrey" by mistake.

Mr Obama used the wrong name three times as the British Chancellor made a speech on tax avoidance, saying he agreed fully with "Jeffrey" and adding "Thanks for that, Jeffrey" at its conclusion.

The Chancellor did not correct the President. However Mr Obama, realising his error, apologised.

According to the Financial Times, Mr Obama told Mr Osborne he did know who he was and said: "I'm sorry man. I must have confused you with my favourite R&B singer."

London-born Mr Osborne, who is white and 42 years old, is unlikely to be mistaken for the Rhode Island-born singer, who is black and 23 years his senior.

Jeffrey Osborne was the lead singer with the band L.T.D. in the 1970s, but achieved greater success as a solo singer with five gold and platinum albums.

The US musician, best known for his 1982 hit On The Wings Of Love, told Sky News: "I was really delighted actually.

"I was really not aware that he was that much of a fan that he would call the Chancellor Jeffrey Osborne.

"Tell the Chancellor when I come over I will have to hook up with him and we will do a duet of On The Wings Of Love or something."

The Chancellor later responded on Twitter, posting: "One unexpected breakthrough from G8 - offer to sing with legend @_JeffreyOsborne. Jeff you wouldn't suggest a duet if you'd heard me sing."

Mr Cameron's official spokesman made light of Mr Obama's mix-up at a Westminster media briefing this morning, telling reporters: "A friend of mine who's a Jeffrey Osborne fan tells me that one of his tracks is Call My Name."

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg also confirmed on his LBC radio show Call Clegg that the President had also referred to him as the "better looking half of the coalition".

Just found this on BBC web site.

Teacher Jeremy Forrest has been found guilty of abducting a schoolgirl.

The prosecution said Forrest, 30, of Petts Wood, south-east London, had groomed the pupil at Bishop Bell CofE School in Eastbourne where he taught.

Lewes Crown Court heard the pair went to France when it became likely their relationship would be exposed. The girl was 15 years old at the time.

Forrest chose not to give evidence in his defence. Sentencing has been adjourned until Friday morning.

The maths teacher was labelled a "paedophile" by the prosecution, who said he "groomed" the vulnerable teenager and his actions were a gross breach of trust.

'I love you'

The trial has heard the pupil had just turned 15 when she started a sexual relationship with Forrest after developing a crush on him.

Forrest would pick the girl up in her school uniform and they would have sex in his car, in hotels and at his marital home, the court heard.

Fearing they were about to be exposed, Forrest booked them on a cross-Channel ferry from Dover to Calais on 20 September last year.

Forrest's wife Emily told the court that their marriage had fallen apart in the months before he disappeared

They spent seven days on the run in France before they were tracked down in Bordeaux.

Emily Forrest, who married the teacher in 2011, told the court that their marriage had fallen apart in the months before he disappeared with the girl.

Richard Barton, prosecuting, said Forrest's actions were an abuse of trust and he had not acted with the consent of the girl's parents.

Not much comparison is there - one is slim, black and talented, the other is podgy, white, arrogant, economically illiterate and a disastrous chancellor!

You forgot that one sings of love while the other loves to destroy :hihi:

I wouldn't call it ridiculing, it obviously wasn't done intentionally.

No I don't like him but once is a faux pas, continuing to do it is ignorance. Years ago I used to go in the Birley and a bloke in there always called me Paul. I corrected him no end of times, it got like Trigger with Rodney.

Then a few years ago I was in with a friend and she said he's just called you Paul, I said I'm used to it he's done it over 15 years. She went up to him and said you do know his name is Pete don't you, he said sorry and for rest of night called me Pete every-time I saw him.

I walked in the following night and said ah do Terry, he went all right Paul, with some it's just a waste of time.:suspect:

Archived