Driving someone else's car, pitfalls?

If a friend is driving your car and for instance another car runs into the back of it when at a traffic island, what's the insurance situation? Assuming of course that he is covered to drive your car on his policy. I would think its between his company and the one who caused the accident?

Sorry meant to post in General section.

If he weren't insured your insurance would pick up the bill for any third party damage or injury he causes under the compulsory insurance rules of the road traffic act.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

If he weren't insured your insurance would pick up the bill for any third party damage or injury he causes under the compulsory insurance rules of the road traffic act.

But if he is insured, I assume that the driver who has hit mine will pay the damage. Conversely, if my friend causes an accident in my car, then surely his company will pay 3rd party damage?

Quote:

But if he is insured, I assume that the driver who has hit mine will pay the damage. Conversely, if my friend causes an accident in my car, then surely his company will pay 3rd party damage?

Indeed.

Indeed.

Thanks, I was just trying to establish that, assuming both drivers are legally insured, it puts (to all intents and purposes) my insurance company out of the picture. Of course any damage to my car wouldn't be covered if it was his fault.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosey

Indeed.

Thanks, I was just trying to establish that, assuming both drivers are legally insured, it puts (to all intents and purposes) my insurance company out of the picture. Of course any damage to my car wouldn't be covered if it was his fault.

Absolutely. The only issue could be any argument as to value or repairs and you do have to report to your insurers of course as its part of your policy terms.

Usually when somebody runs into the back your car it's their fault & their insurance would pay out for the damage to your car. It's not going to matter who's driving your car as long as they're legally allowed to.

If another person driving your car caused an accident, they'd usually only be covered third party to drive other cars (by their own fully comp car insurance), so their insurance would only pay for the damage caused to the car they ran into & not any damage they caused to your car. Your insurance wouldn't cover anything unless you have coverage for "any other driver" on your policy or they're a named driver on your policy.

You can usually get temporary insurance coverage for another driver as a named driver on your policy if you phone your insurance company, for a small fee. That is the way to get fully comprehensive insurance for them.

Archived