Writing letters vs emails

I've never understood what is meant by "Regards" or even "Kind regards". Can you have unkind regards?

If I'm sending an enquiry by email, I usually end it with a simple Thank you

If it is someone I like, I put ‘Best regards’, or sometimes the old-fashioned ‘Yours truly’, when I want to create more distance. If I do not care, I might put ‘Best’, or even ‘Cheerio’. When dealing with someone I dislike, I simply put my name or nothing at all.

Everything from kind regards to cheers..depends on how well I know the customer/potential I'm communicating with and where the relationship sits on the formal----informal line.

I guess that is right, but most emails tend to be persons that I dont know. Quite often the council or local newspaper.

Hi

I know how I was taught to write a letter, faithfully and such; but what do you put in an email?

I have always just put regards, but I have started to put kind regards. What do you write?

I was always told to put "Best Regards"

I guess that is right, but most emails tend to be persons that I dont know. Quite often the council or local newspaper.

In that case, sign off as follows:

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant

Looks like wikipedia's not so useless after all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valediction#Formal_valediction

Archived