Sheffield terraced houses

Lucy-Lastic

Before I look at the 1901 Census thing, can you tell we how you got the data on your house exactly? Do you just key in an address? Or do you need info from the deeds about the occupants at the time? :rolleyes:

Hi

I used http://www.1901censusonline.com - on there you can do an address search. The only problem is that it costs 75p if you want to look at the census sheet that contains the info about the people who lived there and you have to spend a minimum of £5 (over 7 days). I bet theres a better way of doing it though:D

LisaH xxx

Texas, - I lost my bearings there a bit; of course the lower entrance to the rec was on Nottingham street and I've now discovered it was there in 1901, - known as Nottinham Cliff Recreation Ground and created from land given by the Duke of Norfolk. So would be there even before your time :D

The two cast iron posts are still there BTW and the last time I was there it was a little park with benches and kiddies' swings etc - mostly grassed over - no cinders to be seen.

Thanks for pinpointing the location of the Tower House for me, - the description on Picture Sheffield is a bit vague.

• 4 years later...

I have been doing some interesting family research lately. I look in the census for say 1901 or (now) 1911, find the addresses of my ancestors, then find if the house is still standing by looking at Google maps. They are often Victorian terraced houses and have maybe had attic conversions/renovations but it's good to see where your ancestors lived with their huge families! My grand-dad lived on Rosedale Road, Ecclesall when he was about 7 and I have been able to find the exact house and save a photo from the internet. That house is now student accommodation for 5 students with broadband Internet access!

My grandparents' Victorian terraced house in Nethergreen had a grate under the front door mat which could be removed to deliver coal directly into the cellar. There were 4 houses per yard and little individual gardens too. There was a sort of scullery extension (which also contained a bath) and an outside whitewashed toilet with half sheets of Radio Times (1950s) on a hook on the door.

I visited back-to-back housing in the ? Broomhall area in the 1960s as part of a social science lesson - a few had been left standing and cleaned out but you could imagine how awful it was to live there with no proper water supply and really poor sanitation.

My grandmother lived for a few years in a bigger Victorian semi-detached house on Carterknowle Road and I remember in the 1950s seeing a row of bells attached to wires in the kitchen meant for calling "the servant" in earlier times!!

Archived