Council tenants subsidising property owners.

It is the children of Sheffield who will end up homeless and destitute, increasingly they already are.

Even if that's true, there are only a certain amount of properties. Whether they are owned, private let or council let doesn't affect that. If every house in Sheffield was owned and let by the council, those homeless would still be homeless. Only new buildings and your precious council 'releasing' (...do you see what I did there? :hihi: ...)some of its boarded up properties can affect that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtSw3daGoo

I am not in a position of power to improve the lot of the common man, if I were I would.

I am the "common man" - I've rented for over 13 years in total - both council and private - I didn't sit on a forum and winge about other people improving my lot - I improved my own lot - maybe you should do the same eh? :hihi:

I'm sorry, I'm lost here.....how is my mortgage subsidised by council tenants? I bought my house, got a mortgage and started paying it...to my knowledge no one helps me with it.

Much of the money derived from council rents is diverted to spending on public infrastructure. This money then finds it way into property and increases property prices.

Because council tenants are paying over the odds for their accommodation, they are funding pubic infrastructure and services which in turn increases house prices.

House prices increase not because houses are improved, but because of the money spent in the community. This unearned increase in houseprices is created by the community, but it is pocketed by private property owners.

Thus council tenants are subsidising property owners.

Council tenants pay for their houses many times over in rent, it is as simple as that.

But you seem to have missed interest payments, inflation, material prices and property maintenance costs from your stupid calculations.

If it is so easy to buy a house and rent it to some poor dupe why haven't you done it and cashed in?

Chem is correct.

A typical example of this is when run-down areas suddenly become yuppified which was the situation across many parts of East London with the re-development of the Isle of Dogs and the Docklands as a result of the introduction of improved transport infrastructure etc.

The homeowners never asked for this, however banks and big corporate companies moved in and prices increased in areas that were once run-down and neglected. All seemed fine, until the elderly discovered their children could no longer afford to live in the areas they were brought up in.

We DO have a level playing field ........... everyone has the opportunity to work hard and better themselves and buy a property. The problem is some people want everything but dont want to work for it .

I think you've nailed him in one! :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 13:50 ----------

Chem is correct.

A typical example of this is when run-down areas suddenly become yuppified which was the situation across many parts of East London with the re-development of the Isle of Dogs and the Docklands as a result of the introduction of improved transport infrastructure etc.

The homeowners never asked for this, however banks and big corporate companies moved in and prices increased in areas that were once run-down and neglected. All seemed fine, until the elderly discovered their children could no longer afford to live in the areas they were brought up in.

And those folk on the HS2 route who suddenly found their property price halved. You buy a property and its value might go up or it might go down. That's pretty much like any other investment you might care to make.

Chem is correct.

And that was all down to council tennants?

Archived