Toilet seat up or down when flushing

Earlier this week I read this in a magazine - I had no idea that using the flush is supposed to spread germs via droplets of water. I am wondering where that research came from. Anyway, just in case the research is correct, it is worth doing but I imagine it will take time to get into the habit.

Just to be clear - the recommendation is that you put the lid down before the flush.

Put it down. I saw a programme on TV that showed slow motion footage of a toilet flushed with the lid up. The force of the flush projected water and particulate several metres across the room. After that I always put the lid down.

Not to detract from the importance of infection control in hospitals, and for the immunocompromised elsewhere, but a reminder here that

*. Be sensible (don't go licking the toilet bowl), but don't get too carried away.

*Disclaimer: this is not a Nature paper...

You need a few germs to keep your immune system strong.

That depends. The OP was talking about people in hospital.

I'm nearly half-way through a massive course of antibiotics (in a hospital) and I can assure you that the last thing I need is 'a few germs to keep my immune system strong.'

It was a few germs which put me here in the first place.

Archived