Tattoos and Piercings

Not necessarily- the two I have are for me- they mean something to me, and although can be seen dependant on what I'm wearing, what they say and mean is purely for me, so I don't feel obliged to translate what one says when someone asks
Then why ink them into your flesh?

Why not have them made into a painting or jewellery or something like that but not as permanent?

Serious question by the way, i'm not being flippant

Why not have them made into a painting or jewellery or something like that but not as permanent?

there's nothing more personal than flesh

I have quite a few tattoos, including a large back piece with writing across my shoulder blades. I don't mind people looking, commenting or asking questions as long as they're fairly polite - but the numerous times I've been stood at a bar in town when someone starts tracing the letters with their fingers or touching my arms. Not cool. Really not cool.

You can take away every possession I own, strip me of everything that I hold dear, and I will still have it. If I'm in rags on the street I shall still carry that with me.

In my case it's also a replica of something drawn on in marker pen as a fun gesture 3 days before he died and which I washed off on the day he died, without knowing that he was already dead. It really wouldn't be the same if it was on a picture on a wall or any other representation.

I have quite a few tattoos and when i'm wearing my work t-shirt, half of the one on my arm is visible. Many customers ask what the tattoo is or ask if they can have a look. I don't mind showing them. However, a few weeks ago, i was serving a customer and without saying a word, he leaned right over the counter and grabbed my arm with one hand and used his other hand to try to push up my sleeve. That's not acceptable!! I had a go at him and his reply was 'calm down, i only wanted to look at your tattoo'.

Archived