Car Dealerships

Falls

This is going back a few years, and it may have been covered on a previous thread, but can you remember the car dealerships in Sheffield? Here is my list.

Ford had three/four: Autoways at the end of Shoreham Street, next to Kennings; Brook Shaw, on the corner of Union Street/ Norfolk Street and Charles Street (this was before they moved to Gibralter Street) and T.C. Harrison on London Road. Sheaf Motors on Sheaf Street also sold Fords.

Austin was sold by Freeman Oaks, at the top of Fitwilliam Street

Morris/ Riley /Wolsely was represented by the Kenning Group in that huge building at Shoreham Street and Paternoster Row. (later, they sold the full range of BMC cars and British Leyland Products)

Vauxhall (General Motors) were sold by Bentley Brother, in the Wicker and On Savile Street.

Jaguar, Standard and Triumph were sold by Hadfield's at the far end of Brown Street (before they moved to Sharrow Vale)

Rover were sold by Crabtree and Nichols up on Pinston Street, opposite the Peace Gardens and behind on Cross burgess Street(?)

Rootes Products (Hillman/Humber) was sold by Pickfords on Ecclesall Road

Singer was sold by a dealership on Ellen's Street (just off the bottom of the Moor) I think their name was Batty but I'm not sure. Later Singer was taken over by Rootes Group.

Gilders sold Volkswagen in Cambridge Street - before they moved the business to Banner Cross.

I can't remember who sold Jowett Cars or Lanchester.

Have I left any body out ?

Turners garage on Herries road (firvale) sold triumphs very small dealership though

I thought Brocklehurst's sold Rootes and then Chrylser products. I remember going to their showroom on Whittington Moor in 72/73 to look at a Simca that was being imported by Chrylser. When did they go out of business?

Brocklehurst's sold Chrysler / Talbot products up till at least the early 80's, I remember my uncle buying a brand new Talbot Horizon from them on the then new A reg plate.

• 2 weeks later...

what about.

Bookless Brothers on Abbeydale rd south.

Frechville Motor co ,both Austin dealers.

Central Motors Alvis agents Bailey Lane

Hillsborough Motors Rambler

Clifford Metcalf Daimler Ellin St

Highfield Motors Hillman.

Essam & Hewson Wolsley Nether Edge

Interesting thread:thumbsup:

I remember Bentley's (Vauxhall) showroom on Upper Hanover Street (or is it Hanover Way - where the University tram-stop is between Glossop Road and University roundabout). As you travelled from University roundabout it was on your left, when the road was a single carriageway. It was demolished to make the road into a dual carriageway, I'd guess around 1980.

The Jaguar dealership on Brown Street - Hadfields. My dad owned a Jag or two in his time and I recall going there on a number of occasions. Did it have a second floor showroom also?

Rolls Royce on Peel Street, Broomhill - Kenning? They also had a garage where the Alldays supermarket is now opposite Lloyds TSB. My dad also owned a couple of Rollies and probably got at least one of them from here, as I remember sitting inside one and being incredibly impressed.

Europa Mercedez, bottom of Hanover Way. My dad (you'll see he liked his cars) bought a Mercedez 450SEL in 1978 from a dealership just beyond the Prince of Wales pub, Banner Cross, IIRC.

In 1976 we bought a Toyota Celica from a dealership situated near to where Staples is today (as someone else has rightly pointed out). We also looked at Audi at Banner Cross (which is now a VW dealership?).

It's quite surprising how many of these garages have disappeared. Most of them sold petrol too on their forecourt.

Keep the memories rolling in!

• 3 years later...

Hoffmans at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd sold Mercs and Rippn bros sold Rollers,Waldot middlewood sold Wartburgs,volvo,rootes,NSU reliant and Volkies.Charlie May on Backfields sold Moscovitch Moorhouse and metcalfe sold a few makes and Credlands Sheffield Lane Top sold Ford as did Terminus Garage at Midlewood which was owned by John Hardy.Standard vanguard was also sold by Sammy Wilsons on West St.