Car Dealerships

Falls

Meersbrook Garage down Meersbrook Datsun agents, got my first new car from there 1972

meersbrook garage had another site at Holland selling Datsuns it was "millhouse garage" on millhouse st jan the gaffer was a giant of a man, polish ex wrestler once gave me his old wallet,it was a lucky charm went on start my own business still tinkering although supposed to be retired.

ahaha Choogling you should have asked him about that skinny 17yr old who stood up to him when he called him a liar.He wasnt particularly tall more like stocky but built like a brick outhouse him and his mate Max a builder used to throw the oxygen bottles to each other when i worked for him at Meersbrook Garage in 1959.I told him to do one but not politely when he called me that and told him to stuff his job ,took my ovvies off strapped my tool box on my motorbike and as i started to go he came running up to me full of apologies ,too late mate get lost.Many years later when we had given him the NSU dealership he sent a minnion to poach me with a then big wage offer i will leave you to guess what i said to the fella,a few days later Jan came walking down the yard so i collard him and had a few choice words for him telling never to come near me if he valued his dealership because a word to my boss and he most certainly would have.I believe he went to Spain with his friend Toni Dalli the singer,there was a rumour he had opened a wine bar with Sean Connery but thats as much as i know.Was he still wearing that brown pinstripe suit when you knew him ?

Edited by bullerboY

ahaha Choogling you should have asked him about that skinny 17yr old who stood up to him when he called him a liar.He wasnt particularly tall more like stocky but built like a brick outhouse him and his mate Max a builder used to throw the oxygen bottles to each other when i worked for him at Meersbrook Garage in 1959.I told him to do one but not politely when he called me that and told him to stuff his job ,took my ovvies off strapped my tool box on my motorbike and as i started to go he came running up to me full of apologies ,too late mate get lost.Many years later when we had given him the NSU dealership he sent a minnion to poach me with a then big wage offer i will leave you to guess what i said to the fella,a few days later Jan came walking down the yard so i collard him and had a few choice words for him telling never to come near me if he valued his dealership because a word to my boss and he most certainly would have.I believe he went to Spain with his friend Toni Dalli the singer,there was a rumour he had opened a wine bar with Sean Connery but thats as much as i know.Was he still wearing that brown pinstripe suit when you knew him ?
its been over fifty years since I worked for him cant remember any suit.

There was a short lived dealership on London Rd in the 70's/80's which sold Porsche and a Japanese make- Mazda I think. I think also there was a dealership on the road that used to exist where Staples is now at Moorfoot. There was a central doorway at the front and to one side it was a Simca dealership and the other side was Rolls Royce. A little known one was Sandygate Motors at Crosspool which held the Goggomobile franchise in the late 50's/ early 60's.

Edited by Person6

Derby's garage on Infirmary Road were Ford agents, this was in the 50's and 60's.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 13:50 ----------

The Rolls Royce agents were Rippon Brothers on Ellin Street. They also had a showroom on Ecclesall Road South, opposite Ecclesall church.

Sandygate Motors was owned by J J Dyson refactories of Storrs Tom Stone was the Director and they were British Leyland Dealers later Peter Lockwood was Service Manager.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 19:02 ----------

Meersbrook Garage were also Lloyd and Borgward dealers

• 1 year later...

My mum was from owlerton and lived in Sheffield from 1930 until she got married in 1949. She had an uncle I believe who ran a motor dealership called oldfields but that's the extent of my knowledge. One of her uncle's was killed in the d day landings on 6th June 1944 and he was an oldfield

• 2 years later...