Help/advice electric light switches

i could really use some advice please ,here goes i have tried to replace some light switches 2 in the living room and one in a bedroom . the two in the living room one has 3 wire to connect and the other one has 4 wires to connect i can get them to work but only one switch or the other ? .the bedroom only has 2 wires to connect ive got that to work but now my 2 lights in the stairs will not come on oh my days been at this all day any help / advised would be

gratefully appreciated thankyou

thankyou to all the helpfull people we have now fixed the problem thanks to steroc

What mike84 said.

Get it wrong and you could end up killing yourself or your family. It's not rocket science to replace a light switch if you know what the wires do, but if you don't then the consequences of a wrong assumption are potentially lethal.

You could Google light switch circuit diagrams which should probably help. The colour of the wires is the important thing.

Also make sure you got a 2 way switch. My guess would be you're trying to replace a 2 way switch with a 1 way. Look at the old switch it will likely have more terminals. Assuming that one of your switches isn't also a 2 gang controlling your hall/landing then more than likely you've broken the permanent live feed from one of the other switches.

You do need to understand how the circuit works and what the wires do though and if you don't you should get a sparkie out to have a look.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

i could really use some advice please ,here goes i have tried to replace some light switches 2 in the living room and one in a bedroom . the two in the living room one has 3 wire to connect and the other one has 4 wires to connect i can get them to work but only one switch or the other ? .the bedroom only has 2 wires to connect ive got that to work but now my 2 lights in the stairs will not come on oh my days been at this all day any help / advised would be gratefully appreciated thankyou

The bedroom switch will be ok, if there's only two wires you can't go wrong. The two switches in the living room will be the cause of the problems including the stairs. Don't listen to comment about wire colours and blowing things up as all the wires in your switches will be live (should be no neutral in there, especially if all the wires were wired into the switches. First you'll need to establish which wire is the permanent live and work from there. Also do both switches in the living room control the same lights (two way circuit) or separate lights (one way circuits). My guess is its a two way circuit and the switch with four wires (the first switch) will have the permanent live in plus the permanent live feed back out to the stairs circuit and two wires that link to the second switch. The second switch will then have the two wires from first switch and the feed to the light/s.

Archived