Laws about custom rear/side car lights

Hi people,

I've got a friend who is making a custom hotrod style VW Beetle Pickup and as I love lighting he has asked me to have a go at finding some cool rear and side lights for it but first I need to know the exact laws.

Does anyone know where I can find a simple explanation about what is and isn't aloud? Really I think LED is the future :)

Hi people,

I've got a friend who is making a custom hotrod style VW Beetle Pickup and as I love lighting he has asked me to have a go at finding some cool rear and side lights for it but first I need to know the exact laws.

Does anyone know where I can find a simple explanation about what is and isn't aloud? Really I think LED is the future :)

Cool:cool:Think i would just ask the police.

Underglow kits are legal aslong as they are fitted correctly. I had a multi colour underglow kit on my car and got pulled by the police alot but only 1 out of 10 actually asked me to switch them off.

I know you have to have white-front, amber-sides, red-brake, white reverse etc but I ment about if you need any special lense or anything or certain brightness LEDs

I don't think I'd bother too much about the finer details of the law ... so long as they're at the same sorts of heights as an average production car (which can vary a lot from what I've seen ... Volvo estate vs Lambo springs to mind). Maybe ask at a M.O.T station?

Same with license plates on bikes. A lot of custom bikes have them mounted on one side so as not to spoil the look of the back end (quite rightly so), although this isn't strictly legal. :)

I don't think I'd bother too much about the finer details of the law ... so long as they're at the same sorts of heights as an average production car (which can vary a lot from what I've seen ... Volvo estate vs Lambo springs to mind). Maybe ask at a M.O.T station?

Same with license plates on bikes. A lot of custom bikes have them mounted on one side so as not to spoil the look of the back end (quite rightly so), although this isn't strictly legal. :)

It is, although they should be mounted on the right, not the left, not further forward than the swing arm spindle :thumbsup:

Archived