Tenants benefits from landlord

Yes, it's brilliant being a tenant.

In my current property I'm subject to 'inspections' every three months (nothing says home like someone you don't know poking round it), it was so cold here in winter 2010 that even with the heating running full blast you could see your breath in the air, the washing machine is at least 15 years old, there's a damp problem (obviously me opening the windows would totally solve that - except wait! It doesn't! And I'm freezing!), I have to get written permission for a picture hook, never mind decorating or anything crazy like that, the gas costs me nearly £70 a month because the heating is so inefficient (this is for a tiny flat, 3 rooms), I probably pay more rent than many people's mortgages...and I could go on.

In previous properties I had to live with a broken fire alarm constantly going off for THREE WHOLE DAYS before someone would come and fix it and once I lived somewhere where the damp was so horrendous that the ceiling was actually crumbling onto my pillow as I slept.

But of course the lack of responsibility totally makes up for all of that! (Never mind that I do actually have a responsibility to keep the property in good order, including dealing with the mess of a garden that wasn't laid properly in the first place and now causes all kinds of problems.)

And as for gas safety inspections - that's a legal requirement, not something landlords do out of the goodness of their hearts. And it SHOULD be a legal requirement. If I've got no control over what kind of boiler I live with the very least I should be entitled to is the knowledge it's not going to kill me.

I accept that there are good landlords and nice properties but please let's not pretend that anyone is doing it out of altruism.

really gets to me how people slate private landlords on here.

Do people beleive that private landlords should sell up all their private possessions and force people on the streets,then spend their cash on un-needed crap like a brand new car or a holiday?

Or just give up their properties so that someone they dont know can have a home for nothing.

These houses would be stood empty as no one is buying at the moment.

Tennants choose to live in private rentals,either because they cant get a council house or they dont want the responsibility of home ownership,or they cannot afford their own home at the moment.

Its not just the house that's rented,what about the white goods,boiler repairs,carpets and furniture etc etc ,you dont get this included with a council house!!!

Hold on!

Don't lump all the issues into one. We have an economic need for private rentals. We have a need for temporary and long term rentals. We have a need for quality rentals and exemplary service. Of all the landlords on here I've not seen many state a better case for what they are doing than oldskater.

But we also have an issue with potential buyers denied the chance to buy. They are not choosing to rent. They have no choice at all, and economic rent-seeking landlords are a part of that problem.

really gets to me how people slate private landlords on here.

Do people beleive that private landlords should sell up all their private possessions and force people on the streets,then spend their cash on un-needed crap like a brand new car or a holiday?

Or just give up their properties so that someone they dont know can have a home for nothing.

These houses would be stood empty as no one is buying at the moment.

Tennants choose to live in private rentals,either because they cant get a council house or they dont want the responsibility of home ownership,or they cannot afford their own home at the moment.

Its not just the house that's rented,what about the white goods,boiler repairs,carpets and furniture etc etc ,you dont get this included with a council house!!!

Not all private landlords are bad but I think most don't really appreciate that the tenant isn't just there just to put up with it and pay their rent. up to about 2 years ago I moved on average about once per year, - some due to study but some due to not being willing to put up with how Landlord's don't want to have to live up to their responsibilities. I have had some good landlords but most get very lazy when you start wanting them to fix things quickly. I have had landlords that ignored the complaints that sewerage was leaking into the basement, that were deliberately disabling heating and lighting in shared areas to save money on bills, failing to make buildings secure, leaving broken windows for years at a time, faking the gas safety certificate by re-using the same poor quality photocopy, expect me to live in a house with no heating or hot water for between 1 and 3 weeks in December (2 different landlords) and expect me to keep paying rent while it happens. I'm afraid the list goes on.

I have also had landlords that have responded to issues in the blink of an eye. I usually find that Landlords see tenants as nothing other than a way to make money while not wanting to live up to their responsibilities. They very quickly remember the contract that was signed when it comes to inspection time but try forget it when its time to pay £350 to fix the boiler.

The contract isn't great protection as the Landlord can just give you notice and start to get really difficult, - turning your world upside down and costing a lot of money trying to find bonds and other moving costs.

Ah, yes, forgot to mention the time that my heating totally broke down over Christmas and New Year and because the landlord was in Caribbean at the time I was reduced to sleeping in the front room with the oven on for warmth.

Good times.

Why didn't you get someone out to fix it then?

But we also have an issue with potential buyers denied the chance to buy. They are not choosing to rent. They have no choice at all, and economic rent-seeking landlords are a part of that problem.

Here, here, of course most people don't choose to rent, they have no choice.

i let out a house, it it home for a family of 5 who have now been there for over ten years.

the rent for the house (3 bed semi) is £500 a month or put another way £20 per person per week.

according to some on here i should be lowering the rent and planting carrots in the garden because as a landlord i am somehow evil and as a land owner i should burn in a fiery pit.

for that £20 a week my tennants get security, comfort, maintenance and safety.

all for less than the cost of 2 nights on a campsite. gives me a warm fuzzy feeling at how nice i am.

I wouldnt worry, i also get likened to the devil for being a greedy landlord . Ignore it, its just envy and jealously because us landlords are making a profit from property .

---------- Post added 23-06-2013 at 22:00 ----------

I accept that there are good landlords and nice properties but please let's not pretend that anyone is doing it out of altruism.

Your correct, im a landlord and i rent out property purely for financial gain to make as much money as possible from my houses. I abide by all the rules , keep my properties in good order, do repairs when they arise , but at the end of the day i ,and all other landlords are out to make money .

I wouldnt worry, i also get likened to the devil for being a greedy landlord . Ignore it, its just envy and jealously because us landlords are making a profit from property .

I've never likened you to the devil Desmundo, you've always reminded me more of this affable chap.

Archived