Help with oil painting please ..

Ok ... I'm doing this oil painting at the mo ... about 300 hours in and another 100 to go (lots of work still on hair, necklace and clothing).

It's a sort of copy of one done by Frederick Sandys (mid 19th century), but I want to bring it up to date a bit.

As the beady-eyed may have noticed, I've substituted what was an apple on the table for a jar of Marmite and instead of her holding a sprig of daphne (some kind of plant thing), a teaspoon. At the mo, these are just cut outs from some pictures I took.

The apple was supposed to represent temptation so the Marmite fits nicely with me ... the sprig of daphne was representative of poison (some people don't like Marmite for some inexplicable reason). Instead, I want to paint the teaspoon with my reflection in it holding a paintbrush. That way I can call the painting 'Self portrait with Marmite and strange lady' ... a sort of 'Post pre-Raphaelite'. :)

Before I paint these in properly, I thought it'd be nice to have some kind of feedback on wether this is a good idea or not ... where better than the forum!? Personally, I'm all for it.

What do you think ... good idea or bad? :)

as i dont know the picture anyway, i would not know if the marmite and spoon would have been there anyway,, looks good to me

---------- Post added 23-06-2013 at 16:08 ----------

maybe have the lid of the jar of marmite as well

Looks like shes got a cannabis plant:o You did say you wanted to bring it up to date.

BTW if you check the attached link next Saturday we're having a charity fotball match in aid of Lillie if you'd like to attend. It's at Thornecliffe Park, Mortomley Close High Green - kick off 11am

Archived