Edward Snowden; Hero or villain?

So let me ask YOU. What alternative measures exist to counter possible future terrorist acts?

Oh, it's quite simple. Due legal process.

Will you answer my questions now?

If you lost someone to an act of terror would you be demanding an explanation as why this was allowed to happen, why security measures werent in place to prevent it?

Yes of course I would demand an explanation. I would, as I do, very much like to know how a system as refined as the US could have missed all the early warning signs prior to 11th September 2001.

And no, I don't believe there was a conspiracy. More likely to have been gross negligence. Pretty much in line with the neo-cons' foreign and domestic policy, not to mention their budget deficit ballooning, between 2001 and 2009.

For once I agree with my leftie friend WeX. We need more people like this to expose what governments are getting up to. What tickled me most about this though is that the Americans have charged a spy they employ themselves with spying.

Hahaha, I was called a Tory less than a week ago by one of the insult-challenged Lefties on here. I have been called many things, but I have never been so insulted :P

Hahaha, I was called a Tory less than a week ago by one of the insult-challenged Lefties on here. I have been called many things, but I have never been so insulted :P

It's called irony, WeX. Hard to spot, but a right laugh once you get there.

Oh, it's quite simple. Due legal process.

Will you answer my questions now?

Yes of course I would demand an explanation. I would, as I do, very much like to know how a system as refined as the US could have missed all the early warning signs prior to 11th September 2001.

And no, I don't believe there was a conspiracy. More likely to have been gross negligence. Pretty much in line with the neo-cons' foreign and domestic policy, not to mention their budget deficit ballooning, between 2001 and 2009.

Do you think due process always works with terrorism ?

I'm not sure about this one - didn't anyone think this sort of thing didn't go on and hasn't done since the cold war, well certainly since the birth of the internet. I did and I'm hardly a conspiracy theorist.

I'm not sure what this guy thought went on - it's like working in a slaughter house and then running to the press saying animals are being killed.

You're the one who is being naive. I know all the things you mentioned.

But this ain't Tesco tracking your purchases. It's something else. Think about it.

People might be interested to watch 'Dispatches' on Channel 4, Monday 24th June 8.0pm, entitled 'The Police's Dirty secrets' which (I believe) is about another whistle blower and Police surveilance.

Oh, it's quite simple. Due legal process.Will you answer my questions now?

And due legal process works exactly how when dealing with foreign countries who either shelter known terrorists or dont even know they are there.

US and Hong Kong had a legal extradition agreement which the Beijing government chose to ignore in allowing Snowden to leave for Ecuador via Moscow.

It's apparent that the cold war never really ended as Russia and China lost no time in aiding and abetting Snowdens escape.

Anyway his passport has now been revoked so in effect he has no legal document which allows him entry to any foreign country. Wherever he decides to live or rather whoever will accept him he's stuck there for the rest of his life

Voilà the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution :

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The last three line, by the way, describe what I mean by due legal process.

So I will ask you again Harleyman : who was violating the constitution ? The NSA or Snowden ?

And if you stick with your line of the ends justifying the means, is the US constitution still worth the paper it was written on ?

---------- Post added 23-06-2013 at 23:02 ----------

And due legal process works exactly how when dealing with foreign countries who either shelter known terrorists or dont even know they are there.

US and Hong Kong had a legal extradition agreement which the Beijing government chose to ignore in allowing Snowden to leave for Ecuador via Moscow.

Are you calling Snowden a terrorist now ?

Archived