Bank holiday to be named 'Thatcher Day'??

I think it is a good idea. The Americans have MLK day and Washington's birthday as public holidays, why shouldn't we have Thatcher day? The left already have "their" day - May Day.

We could have an EXTRA bank holiday on the anniversary of the evil bitches

funeral. That way we could preserve her memory forever........:hihi:

I think it is a good idea. The Americans have MLK day and Washington's birthday as public holidays, why shouldn't we have Thatcher day?
Because it's too divisive. People celebrated when she died, for pete's sake. It would be a slap in the face to half of the country.

The left already have "their" day - May Day.
What are you on about? People have celebrated may day for centuries longer than left wing thought has existed.

The state has not sanctioned it as trade union day or anything like that, trade unionists have just taken it upon themselves to use it to demonstrate.

If you want to designate one of the bank holidays as your own personal Thatcher day and organise a group to go celebrate it somewhere, then by all means do it, but the state has no business setting that up.

What are your objections to the ideas put forward. ? Why do you think they are bad ideas. ?

BBC is better the way it is, banning the Burka is illiberal, and even if you agree with the death penalty in principle it's still stupid because it doesn't work as a deterrent, costs more money than imprisonment, and inevitably results in innocent people being killed.

I think it is a good idea. The Americans have MLK day and Washington's birthday as public holidays, why shouldn't we have Thatcher day? The left already have "their" day - May Day.

Thats a cracking idea. We could have Thatcher day once every hundred years. On the 6th June in the 6th year of the century.

What are your objections to the ideas put forward. ? Why do you think they are bad ideas. ?

Because I'm a brainwashed lefty who has a violent, knee-jerk reaction bordering on nausea to every sensible proposal made by the Tories, of course. !

Also, what flamingjimmy said.

Because it's too divisive. People celebrated when she died, for pete's sake. It would be a slap in the face to half of the country.

I'm sure a fair few Americans celebrated MLK's death!

The people who celebrated Thatchers death were wrong to do so. Having August bank holiday as Thatcher day wouldn't negatively affect anyone, it'd just be an opportunity for those who welcomed the changes made to this country to celebrate her. Those who didn't like her policies could go about their bank holiday in whatever way they choose.

Archived