Councils Forced to Sell Assets

Well, have heard on BBC Radio 4 that as part of cost cutting and the future of local councils.

That councils are faced with simple choices...

Reduce work forces and sell assets meaning land or buildings to potential buyers that will actually add value to the area.

Or, go to the wall and be removed completely meaning that some councils will be forced to go with some regions having no councils all together.

Well, have heard on BBC Radio 4 that as part of cost cutting and the future of local councils.

That councils are faced with simple choices...

Reduce work forces and sell assets meaning land or buildings to potential buyers that will actually add value to the area.

Or, go to the wall and be removed completely meaning that some councils will be forced to go with some regions having no councils all together.

In Sheffield that would be a massive bonus. :)

I often wonder why the the council don't sell some of the art treasures and curios that they have stashed away that have never been put on shows in years, if ever. Some of the collections could be worth a lot of money. Better spent on necessary services than mouldering away in storage somewhere.

I often wonder why the the council don't sell some of the art treasures and curios that they have stashed away that have never been put on shows in years, if ever. Some of the collections could be worth a lot of money. Better spent on necessary services than mouldering away in storage somewhere.

When they have spent that £5 what do they do with the change ?

When they have spent that £5 what do they do with the change ?
There's one painting by an American artist that if it was sold over there could fetch a lot of dollars, so I was told. They said it's only been on show once in last 50 years.

There's some good stuff in the collections, Sheffield's not always been like it is today, you know, full of duffers. :D

Quite possibly because they are merely trustees of such treasures given to them on trust by public-spirited donors.

Quite possibly because they are merely trustees of such treasures given to them on trust by public-spirited donors.
Quite possibly, but also quite possibly not. Some will have been donated, some bequeathed, but some will have been acquired.

If they're going to hang onto them on our behalf, we should either be given the opportunity to see them occasionally, or the chance to vote on whether we want to keep them or not, imo.

The citizens of Sheffield have shown on two occasions that they want to hang onto the parklands given in trust by Graves, by voting out Labour when they tried firstly to sell to developers and secondly give it to the St Lukes organisation.

Why not offer the same chance regarding the artifacts we have? I merely pose the question.

Archived