Railway goods yard, Queens Road?

Dreb48

I seem to remember there were goods yards on the stretch of land between Duchess Rd and Charlotte Rd where B&Q is now. Can anybody confirm this or put me right?

Also, what was previously in the spot where the Ice Rink is ?

yes it was queens rd goods yard, not sure what was on the ice rink spot was before but I do know the railway club on farm rd at the back of the ice rink did have a bowling green somewhere near the ice rink site is

Thanks johnme.

I used to travel by bus from town to Totley mostly in the 50s/60s and I was thinking how so much had changed. Was retracing the route in my head from the top deck of a 45 and was trying to fill in the gaps.

I can half imagine a bowling green behind the wall before the ice rink.

Been on Picture Sheffield but cant find anything that helps

The bowling green was at the left hand side of the skating rink building and there was also railway sidings at the back of farm Rd club.

Thanks. That seems to fit. Did Lavers have part of the railway goods yard ?

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 15:05 ----------

There was a large building before the Silver Blades car park was built, it was a chest clinic.

Have no recollection of that at all. Thanks, me-and-pippo, that's very illuminating.

Previous to housing the Chest Clinic it was a Convent. The chapel was left empty. I painted the chest clinic on nights for Flint Bros off Abbeydale Road in the late 1950's. It was a spooky place to work as the attics had coffin shaped boxes with the records of the deceased. I was only 16 and terrified of the place.

Thanks. That seems to fit. Did Lavers have part of the railway goods yard ?

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 15:05 ----------

Have no recollection of that at all. Thanks, me-and-pippo, that's very illuminating.

Photo, if the link works .... http://ntm.adlibhosting.com/wwwopacx/wwwopac.ashx?command=getcontent&server=images&value=p_00017_27032.jpg&width=500&height=500

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 15:22 ----------

Previous to housing the Chest Clinic it was a Convent. The chapel was left empty. I painted the chest clinic on nights for Flint Bros off Abbeydale Road in the late 1950's. It was a spooky place to work as the attics had coffin shaped boxes with the records of the deceased. I was only 16 and terrified of the place.

Thanks Alaniow, I never knew that it was a Convent.

yes it was queens rd goods yard, not sure what was on the ice rink spot was before but I do know the railway club on farm rd at the back of the ice rink did have a bowling green somewhere near the ice rink site is

The bowling green is still there or at least it was the last time I was on the tram going past Granville road.

Archived