Suzuki baleno exhaust sensor

I have just had a new exhaust system fitted on my Suzuki Baleno car but they have fitted a back pipe which hasn't a socket to screw the sensor in.

The cost was £293 for the complete exhaust.

They say they will order another back pipe for £403 less the cost of £293 in exchange of this one.

Can anyone tell me if the sensor is necessary and what are the effects on the car if I decide not to go for another exhaust pipe.

Advice appreciated

Happy Days! PopT

yea it'll probably put the engine management light on if the sensor is not in place, which in turn is an MOT fail.

There's probably little to no difference in the running/emissions because I think there's another sensor further up the exhaust system doing the same job.

I can't see the need for the second sensor, but thats Suzuki for you.

Probably the downstream O2 sensor. Vital to ensure the car runs smoothly.

I'm surprised that the OEM exhaust doesn't have the socket on it. That's either poor quality on the exhaust manufacturer or incompetence of the garage who fitted a wrong part.

My advice would be to stop using kwik-fit. You could not have gone to a worse place.

I worked for them years ago and believe me when i say they are overpriced with a poor quality of work.

It seems they have had your pants down too...

£405 total to fit an exhaust on a baleno. Im going to price this job up tomorrow to see what i could do it for---just out of curiousity.

I can't see the need for the second sensor, but thats Suzuki for you.

The second sensor is there to check the integrity of the catalyst. It will detect if the cat is degrading or not working properly, which then would put the engine lamp on (Catalyst low threshold or the like)

I doesn't do the same job as the first sensor, that controls the fuel mixture.

The exhaust systems for both older and newer baleno systems are exactly the same except for the newer systems that have 2 lambda sensor threads. As of yet there are no aftermarket systems being made which could explain the price, however I can bet that at least half the price they have charged will be profit.

Still would have worked out cheaper to have gone to exhaustuk and had the exact same system made from stainless with a 25 year warranty!!!

Archived