Button Lane/Trafalgar St in 1937

Can anyone help? I'm looking to find the name of my grandfather who owned or was in charge of a shop on Button Lane or Trafalgar St or somewhere around there in 1937. The shop was a theatrical cosmetic/chemist type shop. Can anyone remember a shop of this kind in that area at that time or do you know anyone who worked there? I am trying to help my dad find out if he has family on his father's side but we don't even have a name to start with. All we know is that his father owned this shop on one of these streets so we haven't got a lot to go on.

I have a street guide for 1925 so give us his name and I will take a look. Alternatively you could go to the Local Studies Library in the Central Library and look him up in the Directories there for a nearer date. Just one word of warning though, as it was around the 2WW time, all the years may not be there in the late1930's/ early 1940's

I don't know if this is relevant but by the early 1950s there was just such a shop "Sheffield Theatrical Supplies" on the corner of Button Lane and Rockingham Street, owned by an L.M. Chapman - here is a scan of an advertisement in the 1954 Kelly's Directory, and two. links to photos on the picturesheffield.com site (click on "Zoom image" to enlarge - the site has more photos). The business later moved to temporary premises nearby at the bottom of The Moor that I remember well from c. 1963 - here is a link to another photo..:)

Thanks to me-and-pippo and hillsbro for stimulating the old grey cells with pictures from that area and era. I remember when I was a young lad buying magic tricks from Chapmans shop and also buying bits to build crystal sets from a shop close by. A few years later I bought a suit from Isidore Newman's shop on the Moor and remember that Chapmans had moved down there.

I have a street guide for 1925 so give us his name and I will take a look. Alternatively you could go to the Local Studies Library in the Central Library and look him up in the Directories there for a nearer date. Just one word of warning though, as it was around the 2WW time, all the years may not be there in the late1930's/ early 1940's

Thanks for that....I don't know his name unfortunately but one of the other posts sounds promising.

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 00:05 ----------

Thanks for the photos, that's really helpful

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 00:18 ----------

I don't know if this is relevant but by the early 1950s there was just such a shop "Sheffield Theatrical Supplies" on the corner of Button Lane and Rockingham Street, owned by an L.M. Chapman - here is a scan of an advertisement in the 1954 Kelly's Directory, and two. links to photos on the picturesheffield.com site (click on "Zoom image" to enlarge - the site has more photos). The business later moved to temporary premises nearby at the bottom of The Moor that I remember well from c. 1963 - here is a link to another photo..:)

Thanks Hillsbro, that's great that you can remember the name of the shop and the owner...I might have something to go on now. This is the biggest clue I have had in years.....I remember my mum and dad going to the central library to try and find a name years ago...must be 30 years ago....but they drew a blank. Mmmm...not sure what to do next? Need to find out if L M Chapman had the shop in 1937 when my grandmother worked there. Thanks for the pics as well.:)

Hi Jellytot,

It doesn't look like he was around in 1925 if this Chapman bloke is the right man so you are looking for a period between 1925- 1954 when hillsbro identified he was there. You can now go down to the library and check between these dates to try a pinpoint when he started there.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how come you know he was your grandfather if you didn't know his name? If you need any help with linking families together and it's a bit complicated then I'm sure, I can speak for hillsbro too, we don't mind taking a look. If you don't want to post personal details on here you can send a private message through this site.

Hi jellytot - glad to be able to supply this information. The theatrical/makeup business is not mentioned in the Kelly's directories (alphabetical or classified sections) for 1937 and 1942, and during that period No 268 Rockingham Street was "Hood & Winterburn, motor tyres". So the theatrical shop must have opened at this address some time between 1941 and 1953 (when the 1954 directory was compiled). Looking in indexes for the name L.M. Chapman in Sheffield, a Leslie Mathew Chapman, born 10 April 1890, died in Sheffield in March 1982. He was perhaps the Leslie M. Chapman who is shown at 43 Wath Road in directories from 1954 to 1974 (the last one published). Looking at Sheffield marriages for a Leslie M. Chapman, there are two possibilities - to Edith Wilcock in Jul-Sep 1919 (possible children of this marriage are Ronald L. Chapman, born 1924, Arthur D. Chapman, born 1928, Peter Chapman, born 1936 and Alan Chapman, born 1941) and to Alice Burton in Jul-Sep 1944 (no likely children are listed in the births index)..

Thank you both for being so helpful...quite a lot of info there. Yes I will pm you later as Im at work right now and only get time on here late at night. Everything I know is what my dad's told me and all he knows is little snippets of info from extended family who have all passed on now...it was all a big secret.

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 00:15 ----------

Hi jellytot - glad to be able to supply this information. The theatrical/makeup business is not mentioned in the Kelly's directories (alphabetical or classified sections) for 1937 and 1942, and during that period No 268 Rockingham Street was "Hood & Winterburn, motor tyres". So the theatrical shop must have opened at this address some time between 1941 and 1953 (when the 1954 directory was compiled). Looking in indexes for the name L.M. Chapman in Sheffield, a Leslie Mathew Chapman, born 10 April 1890, died in Sheffield in March 1982. He was perhaps the Leslie M. Chapman who is shown at 43 Wath Road in directories from 1954 to 1974 (the last one published). Looking at Sheffield marriages for a Leslie M. Chapman, there are two possibilities - to Edith Wilcock in Jul-Sep 1919 (possible children of this marriage are Ronald L. Chapman, born 1924, Arthur D. Chapman, born 1928, Peter Chapman, born 1936 and Alan Chapman, born 1941) and to Alice Burton in Jul-Sep 1944 (no likely children are listed in the births index)..

Thanks for looking up all of this hillsbro. However after your information saying the shop opened after 1941, it must be the wrong shop :confused: Spoken to my dad earlier who informs me that 'he summised' it was the theatrical shop as he was told his mum worked in a shop on Button Lane in 1937 - 'a chemist type shop that sold make-up'. He presumed that because this theatrical shop sold Leichner make-up, it must be that one....oh my! You don't know of any chemists on there at that time do you? Thanks so much.

Had a look through my 1925 directory and found a couple of chemists on the roads you mentioned 31 Button Lane. Mrs Mary Workman herbalist and more promising 136 Rockingham Street John P Hewitt and Sons Chemist. Maybe hillsbro can tell us if these establishments were still there in 1937.

Hewitt John P & Son, cash chemists, 66 & 68

Division street & 136 Rockinghajn street T A

" Hewitt," Telephone No Central 2468

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 11:21 ----------

According to my 1925 Directory the Hewitt establishment was connected with this man. By 1925 Charles seems to be living at 22 Northumberland Road

Charles Herbert Hewitt

Age in 1911: 40

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871

Relation to Head: Head

Birth Place: Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Sheffield

County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding

Street Address: 21 Minna Rd Pitsmoor Sheffield

Marital Status: Married

Registration District: Sheffield

Registration District Number: 510

Sub-registration District: West Brightside

ED, institution, or vessel: 25

Piece: 27948

Household Members:

Name Age

Charles Herbert Hewitt 40

Jane Baines Hewitt 40

Alice Hardiman 16

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 11:49 ----------

This is his address in 1901. 10, Barton Road, Heeley, Sheffield County Borough

Interestingly by 1911, the previous census I posted, they had been married 15 years and no children are recorded. Both 40 at the time!

HEWITT, Charles H Head Married M 30 1871 Chemist & Druggist

Sheffield, Yorkshire VIEW

HEWITT, Jane B Wife Married F 30 1871

Sheffield, Yorkshire VIEW

Archived