Hayfever sufferers-Opening or shutting office windows

I live (for 7 months of the year) in Florida.

I'm allergic to Florida. - I'm not allergic to all pollens, but there is no shortage of different pollen types, which come along one after the other.

I take antihistamines most days (but not every day.)

From experience elsewhere (mainly the UK and Germany) I will build a degree of immunity over a few years.

NB: The honey suggestion is a very good one. - It does work, too.

So interesting that to read such attitudes when 'allergies to dogs' is usually met with the reverse attitude

The only thing that touches my hayfever is Piriton, but at the moment I don't have three days that I can spend zonked out in bed, as that would leave my three year old child unsupervised. I get nosebleeds from my hayfever, and am currently suffering from itchy ears, itchy skin, and my nose is running pure salt water

To answer the op, I don't think there are any other circumstances where colleagues are permitted to do something detrimental to your health, so I don't see why they should be able to introduce allergens into the office when you're clearly suffering as a consequence

My eyes are bad this year. I'm never crippled by it, just greatly irritated.

Some times I get it extremely bad I can hardly stand up and start shaking. Sounds daft, but it's no fun, I can tell you

So interesting that to read such attitudes when 'allergies to dogs' is usually met with the reverse attitude

The only thing that touches my hayfever is Piriton, but at the moment I don't have three days that I can spend zonked out in bed, as that would leave my three year old child unsupervised. I get nosebleeds from my hayfever, and am currently suffering from itchy ears, itchy skin, and my nose is running pure salt water

To answer the op, I don't think there are any other circumstances where colleagues are permitted to do something detrimental to your health, so I don't see why they should be able to introduce allergens into the office when you're clearly suffering as a consequence

They are not introducing allergens into the office - they are already there.

I have said before that pollen and other allergens are transferred through air/clothing/shoes/ventilation/objects. Just leaving a front door to the office will lead someone covered in allergens. That's the point.

Closing a window will do sod all to make life more confortable. Once the allergens are in you - that's it. Unless the said employee is in a sealed box from the moment they wake up, opening a window is not detrimental to their health. How about leaving your colleagues in a stuffy hot office with no proper ventilation - is that not detrimental to their health??

Hayfever is an irritating but common condition with millions of people have to try to deal with every year. Treatments are available and if someone's reaction is that severe - there is more than just simple hayfever going on. They need to get to the docs and get checked out.

I was advised to take my hayfever meds the second I wake up to try and get its effects before I get covered in allergens from something as simple as walking to my car. Put simply there is no escape from it. Unless you hold your breath for 16 hours a day there is nothing much you can do.

Like so many I suffer quite badly from Hayfever which is a shame as the office I work in is surrounded by lovely fields.

Yesterday was particularly bad, not helped by those who want the windows open to let some fresh air in.

So whose wishes should be accommodated here, those people who suffer very badly or those (generally the majority) who want to enjoy the fresh air.

If the job isn't suitable for you go work elsewhere. There may be those in the office who get sick because of the stuffiness.

If the job isn't suitable for you go work elsewhere. There may be those in the office who get sick because of the stuffiness.

Don't talk wet. Hayfever can be like having a nasty dose of flu eventually if you can't get it under control, with tablets, local honey, showers, ice packs and nasal sprays. How many people end up feeling seriously ill because their office is a bit 'stuffy'?

Don't talk wet. Hayfever can be like having a nasty dose of flu eventually if you can't get it under control, with tablets, local honey, showers, ice packs and nasal sprays. How many people end up feeling seriously ill because their office is a bit 'stuffy'?

Rather a lot by all accounts.

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/3141/20121020/research-links-poorly-ventilated-office-buildings-lower.htm

Archived